The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2014, 09:28 AM   #1
javelinmania

Manual 3 on the Tree - Hard to Shift

I find that I will get stuck in one gear and can't change gears. I especially noticed it when in third gear - but it could be more. I've only had the truck for a few months and in that time have only had it on the road 3 times as I work thru the issues. What little history I know that there has been at least 2 engine changes and countless other changes. What would account for not being able to get it out of one gear and into another? Steering Column, Steering Column to transmission linkage or transmission? I'm guessing the first two. Sorry, but I can't at this point tell you which manual transmission is in the truck - they all look the same to me. It started life as a V8 truck and it now has a 78 350 in it. I'm assuming the transmission is original.
javelinmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:42 AM   #2
R.L.

Re: Manual 3 on the Tree - Hard to Shift

If your unsure of linkage problems or transmission problems and can't tell if something's binding up linkage wise, take it to a shop and have a pro check it out; transmissions are expensive. Its probably something simple but who knows and how long will it take to find.
JMO you can find out whats in there too as far as what parts are original to that truck and look over the other guys work.
R.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:58 AM   #3
cdowns

Moving parts need cleaning and lubrication every 40years or so to work properly
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:55 AM   #4
javelinmania

I will lubricate everything and if that doesn't solve the problem, I will take it to a shop for an official diagnosis.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:47 PM   #5
sapper4

My 3 on the tree would hang up on occasion. I put new bushings on both ends of the shifter rods and tightened the column and now I cannot make it hang up. There is an excellent write up on the process somewhere on here. I will look for it....
sapper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #6
Davidf

If these trucks are like my '52, the shifter box is located on the steering column under the hood. Ensure that when transmission is in neutral, the two shifter arms (leaving the box) are parallel/even with each other. If not, loosen clamps on rods and adjust arms to they are even. If the box has a cover about the size of a nickel, remove it and add fill with chassis grease...don't pack it in too tight, leave some space for movement.

BTW, when you loosen the rods clamps, move the shift levers on the transmission to ensure they are centered and in the neutral detents before re-clamping.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:42 PM   #7
john
member #16

here's the link for adjustment javelinmania
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=215307
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:50 PM   #8
Davidf

Ah, a bit different from what I described, but the principle is the same. Unclamp, center, level, even everything up and re-clamp. Done.

In this photo, you can just see the shifter box assembly on my '52...in case anyone is interested.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #9
javelinmania

There should be a law against engine compartments this clean and beautiful. I can only imagine mine looking 1/2 this good. Thanks everyone for the advice. First I have to replace the rear main seal as it is leaking bad - and unfortunately the oil plan will not come out without jacking up the engine. So, if it's not raining Sunday, that will be my project and then look at the shifting mechanism.