The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2015, 11:38 PM   #1
sgr60

Welding floor pan and rocker

I'm getting ready to put in a floor pan patch and new rocker on the truck. I'm still in the measuring/planning stage at this point, and I noticed how close the fuel tank is to the area that I'm going to be working in.

With the tank right under the seat, it makes me nervous to be welding (and also grinding/cutting) right above it. Since this is a a very common repair, I imagine I'm not the first to have this concern. What have you all done to mitigate the risk? I suppose the tank could be removed entirely, but short of that, what's the safest way to work in that area?
Old 01-14-2015, 11:59 PM   #2
rs74

Re: Welding floor pan and rocker

Probably just a safe bet to remove the tank and plug the lines off until you are done. It would be a shame for it to go up in flames and then say "Man, I should have removed that tank.

I went to school with a guy who had taken his very nice 427 short bed step side to a local garage to have some work done to it. The tank was setting in the bed of the truck with fuel in it. The owner of the shop grabbed that tank and pulled it across that bed towards him and it must have been static but it ignited and burned the truck and shop down. No Joke. Just be careful.

1987 R10 shortie
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:50 AM   #3
Gregski
Post Whore

yup remove the tank, I would also keep it outside and not in the building you will be welding in, it's the fumes that will get you even if the tank is empty, it takes months to air one completely out
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:53 AM   #4
sgr60

So you think take both tanks out then? With fumes being the issue, I'm not sure I trust the other thank then either...
Old 01-15-2015, 01:57 AM   #5
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgr60 View Post
So you think take both tanks out then? With fumes being the issue, I'm not sure I trust the other thank then either...
absolutely, just to be sure, and have a properly rated fire extinguisher (cheap insurance) on stand by

though I have seen muffler shops weld on trucks with 25 gallons of fuel in them, I would not take the chance myself
Old 01-15-2015, 01:59 AM   #6
sgr60

Fire extinguisher I've got for sure - no question there. All the welding I've done had been off of vehicles in the past (and mostly outside), so it's the hazard of the truck itself that's new for me on this one.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:08 AM   #7
rich weyand

What you don't want is an EMPTY tank. You cannot get an explosive mixture with gasoline in a tank with fuel in it. The mixture is way too rich to ignite. Empty the tank, however, and a little remaining fuel can turn it into a bomb.

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
rich weyand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:09 AM   #8
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgr60 View Post
Fire extinguisher I've got for sure - no question there. All the welding I've done had been off of vehicles in the past (and mostly outside), so it's the hazard of the truck itself that's new for me on this one.
check this guys video out he does just that, he is very talented, check out his tips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP_NsXmyn5M