The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2004, 06:22 PM   #1
beaterC10

Stuck Shackle Bolt

I have also posted this question on the suspension board.

How do I remove a frozen spring shackle bolt on the rear of my 84 1/2T? I am trying to remove the shackles to replace the bushings while a do a flip kit install.

I removed one bolt using a grinder and sawzall to cut the bolt. That is tough. The factory bolts are hard. I have also tried to use a 4T bottle jack and piece of pipe to push the bolt out. I braced the jack against the other side of the frame and used the pipe to connect the jack to the bolt. All I did was bend the pipe.

In the meantime I am driving an old Mercury Grand Marquis beater. Any suggestions?
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 08:09 PM   #2
Prerunner1982

might try taking a peice of rod, such as re-bar and a sledge. cant imagine it would be that stuck, especially if you have relieved all the weight from the truck off of it...
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 09:20 PM   #3
rolson1039

get some PB Blaster and spray into the hole as best ya can that the bolt goes through. Its rusted in there good. you can also try beating on the bolt with a BFH. i had the same problems and wound up goin the sawsall route. i found its not so much the bolt but the metal part of the bushing in the spring. when i did mine i didnt really care about the springs or the bushings i was changing out the whole spring
rolson1039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 09:41 AM   #4
beaterC10

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried a BFH and PB Blaster before resorting to a sawsall. I guess I'll do the drill one more time on the remaining bolt.

Dave
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 11:13 AM   #5
Zilverado
Account Suspended

I had the same problem with the front bolts on my leafs when I did my rear spring swap. I ended up using a drill and air chisel to remove the factory rivets holding the hangers on the frame. With the assembly removed from under the truck, I could then use a hammer (and a full arm swing) to beat the bolts out. I then bolted the hangers back on the frame, and reinstalled the heavier springs.

The decision to remove the hangers was made easier by the fact that I had to remove the back hangers anyway, to move them further back on the frame rail to accommodate the longer HD spring pack.

Just my $0.02.
Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote