The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-20-2015, 02:31 PM   #1
AirSpeed

Painting a two tone fender

I posted this in the paint section but it seems there's more action here, I'm going to paint a two toned fender today, it's off an 80's Chevy dually rear. I've painted before but never two toned, the colors are light yellow and white, the yellow being below the first body line and around the wheel opening. Not sure if I should spray the entire fender white then mask off the white and spray the yellow or what! Any tips on masking and what procedure to follow? Also is it best to remove the tape right after spraying or wait till it hardens? I'm using urethane if that makes a difference. Any suggested would be greatly appreciated!
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:07 PM   #2
budman k20
1972 K20

Re: Painting a two tone fender

I would think you are the best person to answer that question. When you sand it pay attention to the colors below the yellow coat and you should be able to tell how it was done.
budman k20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:29 PM   #3
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman k20 View Post
I would think you are the best person to answer that question. When you sand it pay attention to the colors below the yellow coat and you should be able to tell how it was done.
I know where the colors go, just curious if there is a specific procedure for two tone paint jobs. The fender I'm working on is a replacement that was all one color. I've seen some people paint the entire part then add the second color. Curious if I should spray one color under the next or butt the colors together or what? No clues on the fender I'm working on, looks like it's always been one color. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:06 PM   #4
hugger6933

Normally you would paint the smallest color [area wise] first. You would spray the panel and just go past the upper and lower body lines just with the natural passes of the gun, You know half of the over lap of the pass or so. Now you said your using a urethane type paint that is a poor choice for two tones paint. It is also a poor choice for first timers in painting but I am not trying to make you feel bad it will still look great, If you ever spend much time on the paint and body section the guys there know I am there to help and not try to drag anyone down. The reason I say the choice is not the best one is the drying time and the single stage is less forgiving than the base is. If you make a mistake in a bc portion of the paint job you can wait ten min and sand it out and then fix it. If you make a mistake in a ss type paint your pretty much done on that portion of the project for the day.The other reason I like BC/CC for two tone paint is you can spray your smaller color pull the tape off let it dry half hour or so tape off the small color paint the bigger color untape it check all the tape lines then clear. But with single stage you will paint then it will most likely have to sit overnight before you can continue with retaping the other color and then you have to be concerned about the tape "bleeding" in the paint if the paint is still a little tacky. I see some may wanted to go the Single stage route because of economics but if you price base coat paints like my favorites PPG's Omni or Omni plus they are cheaper lines of PPG'Sanswer to DBC base coat paint and they have a whole line of it but you have to ask for it and it can save you anywhere from 10% to 90% on paint and material cost. The Omni line carries every thing from epoxy and high build primers to clears and everything in between and should be available anyplace you can buy PPG paint. Now I don't work for them but I do have my own shop and have used Omni in it for about 15 years. if you need any more help on this paint stuff holler at me or PM me I'll be glad to help anyone that needs help Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:23 PM   #5
AirSpeed

Thanks hugger! I appreciate all the tips! I've had pretty good luck with urethane, painted my truck a few years ago and I'm pretty happy with it. Painted lots of other stuff with it as well and it seems to harden up pretty good in a few hours. Of course I've never tried to mask over it that soon so this will be a learning experience. I'll do a little test tomorrow to see how long it takes to accept tape without issue.
Here's my first automotive paint job, did this in my basement!

I used the same urethane on it.

I've seen guys remove the tape right after spraying so the paint will level off I assume, does this give it a cleaner edge?
Thanks again!
Old 01-20-2015, 10:26 PM   #6
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

curious on this also

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:36 AM   #7
hugger6933

That is what I was saying by spraying the smaller color first and just having a small amount of overlap then that way you only tape off once, having only one tape line so the paint build up is not as big being from both sides of the taping. Am I making sense? I hope I am conveying what I am trying to say where it is understandable. By the way that truck looks great. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:51 PM   #8
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
That is what I was saying by spraying the smaller color first and just having a small amount of overlap then that way you only tape off once, having only one tape line so the paint build up is not as big being from both sides of the taping. Am I making sense? I hope I am conveying what I am trying to say where it is understandable. By the way that truck looks great. Jim
Thanks! I'll post up pics of the fender after I paint (unless it's humiliatingly bad!)
Appreciate the help!
Old 01-24-2015, 07:39 PM   #9
AirSpeed

Got the fender sprayed today, turned out great. I sprayed the almond color first, spraying past the body line about six inches letting it fade away from the edge. Taped the line and sprayed the yellow then removed the tape after the last 15 minute flash. The paint flowed perfectly to the line when the tape came off, looks perfect.

I have a little orange peel but will buff out just fine.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:38 PM   #10
tommys72

looks good! l like the colors

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:48 PM   #11
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommys72 View Post
looks good! l like the colors
Thanks! It's for a friend, his passenger fender got torn off so he found this one, got the paint code off the truck but the rest of the truck is faded. I offered to tint it a little lighter to match the faded paint but he didn't want it, I think I'll end up painting the entire truck once he sees it on there!