The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2015, 08:24 AM   #1
Mjminino

Door Patch Panels

I am sure not everyone reads build threads which is obviously fine. On mine I posted a problem I am having and figured I would post it here to give the problem more exposure.

I have already typed and uploaded a great deal of pictures into my build thread HERE.

If you could please just click the link and read post number 54, I would greatly appreciate it.

Basically I installed new lower door patch panels and now nothing lines up. Kicker part is even the old metal doesn't line up now and the hinges and everything are in the same spot as before.

I greatly appreciate you checking out the problem and thanking y'all in advance on your advice!
Mjminino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:44 AM   #2
Lugnutz65

Re: Door Patch Panels

I didn't read through your whole thread. Just read the door section post #54 etc.

Your patch work looks good. Does the bottom of the door contact anything that might prevent it from lining up? If you replaced inner rockers or floor pieces, then I will assume you braced the cab properly so it wouldn't flex and change shape.

I take interest because I will soon tackle this on mine.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:55 AM   #3
Joe Pass

I did the same repair on my passenger door...when I went to fit it back to the cab I discovered that the repair/replacement inner bottom door dragged on the threshold. I then had to section it so the now new bottom of the door cleared the threshold when shut
Name:  62ass 016.JPG
Views: 220
Size:  30.0 KB

Name:  62ass 031.JPG
Views: 214
Size:  35.2 KB
Joe Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:56 AM   #4
Mjminino

As this was my first build of this magnitude, I didn't know that I should have braced it. Although this problem isn't a door opening length problem as the door fits and opens fine. I guess it would be considered a cab width problem. I don't know how that would have changed during the floor reconstruction as it was still attached to the back of the rear cab sheet metal, it wasn't just dangling there. Everything fit fine before I tackled the door patch panels. Now the old and new metal doesn't line up and that is what is frustrating. If it was just on the new sheet metal that would be understandable.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:02 AM   #5
Joe Pass

I had to cut along the inner inside edge from corner to corner. Then push it up 1/2" and reweld along the cut seem, but first I test fitted it again to make sure I didn't raise it to much and still contact the seal
Name:  usa 005.JPG
Views: 217
Size:  30.7 KB
Old 01-25-2015, 11:05 AM   #6
Joe Pass

So what you are saying is that the door gap is off?.. to tight or a big gap ?
Old 01-25-2015, 11:13 AM   #7
Mjminino

THIS IS JUST COPIED AND PASTED FROM MY BUILD THREAD
would just be easier for everyone.

THE BAD: Nothing lines up correctly. Let me show you.

Pictures 1 and 2: With window frame part of the door level with the B Pillar, the bottom part sticks in that much.

Picture 3: That's how far the window frame area sticks out when the bottom part is level with the B pillar

I have NO DAMN clue what happened. part of the area that doesn't line up on the bottom is still OLD metal! If you look at the first picture, in the middle of the grinded area, is where the lower door panel seam is. You can see both the old and the new doesn't line up which it did prior to this problem (obviously it moved in and out because I don't have weatherstripping in, but the top and bottom were both level with the door pillar.)

When I welded everything up I spot welded in sporadic spots and never consecutively, same with grinding. Although, I am sure there is some warpage as I am not a welding expert by any means, I wouldn't think that this problem is directly related to warpage. More or less what is really throwing me for a loop is that the old metal doesn't line up any better than the new metal. And as you can see in the previous post on the 1st and 3rd picture where I hammered and dollied the wrap, you can see where it starts and ends. If there were ANY problems, I would think that the old metal would be lined up and the new metal out of whack, not both.

It is almost like the entire door warped

I didn't have any weatherstripping before, and as I could push the door in and pull it out (until it caught the latch) everything was even as far as the hinges go, I never messed with them outside of taking them off of the door. they still had the ring in the paint where the bolt goes. I put all 4 sides back on where they went prior. I know I am going to have to do some reconfiguration, I am just curious to know why it is this far off now, even the old metal.

Here is an old video WAY before anything was aligned (after the floor metal work) as you can here it hit the latch, but even so at about 6 seconds you can see the door is fairly aligned. Nothing is in or out any further then the mentioned above areas.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW2x7...ature=youtu.be
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2015, 11:17 AM   #8
Mjminino

Exclude this information "And as you can see in the previous post on the 1st and 3rd picture where I hammered and dollied the wrap, you can see where it starts and ends." in my post as it pertains to previous pictures in my build thread
Old 01-25-2015, 11:17 AM   #9
Joe Pass

I'm kind of seeing what you are saying..I looked at the thread and did you adjust the hinges out so the back can come in further ? If I understand you and the pictures, the front closes first leaving the back out (ajar)?
Old 01-25-2015, 11:26 AM   #10
Joe Pass

I had similar issues but working with it I had to bend in the front door frame to meet the cab/windshield pillar. Then a little bit on the rear door edge to meet the rear door jamb. Its very frustrating I know and you wouldn't think things could change with a little work but they do.

Last edited by Joe Pass; 01-25-2015 at 09:57 PM.