The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2004, 11:24 AM   #1
tmad

Front disc upgrade

Hey folks! Some of you may remember me, but Ive not been on for awhile Im a new grandpa so the truck has been on the back burner, But now its time to get going again, my plan for this winter was to add front disc brakes to my 67 2wd lwb pick-up. Which leads to the ? of what to get and where to get them. Right now Im running stock suspension and I what to keep the stock ride height. Ive heard there are kits now that use the stock spindles. Can anyone offer any advice on this endeavor. Thanks
tmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 02:08 PM   #2
Kid

Congrats on being a grandpa, 1 option you might check is to price 73 (pickup) & up spindles, rotors, calipers, upper ball joints, & outer tie rod ends at your local auto parts store, oh yea, an adjustible prop. valve ($39.95 from summit or Jegs) and brake hoses, thats all you need you could save some more $ by getting the spindles from your local salvage.
Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 02:20 PM   #3
Sonic69

I am getting ready to do the same thing tmad on my 69. I have been looking at kits, but it looks like this is a cheaper way to go. I have a question about this as well. Does the drum/drum master cylinder work as long as you buy the adjustable prop valve? Second question, if 73 and up spindles work, how new of a truck can you go? I have seen 1987 before, but not sure if that is correct. Good luck tmad.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:06 PM   #4
Orange70chevy

Here is what I did to my 70 chevy truck. I used the spindles, hub, rotors, and calipers out of a 1976 chevy truck. All you have to do is change your ball joints to to the year of what your parts came off of. I also had to use out the tie rod ends and center link out of the 76. I used a prop valve out of a 71 or 72 chevy truck. You can also change the whole crossmember out I think that all but four bolts line up you just have to drill them out. That is the way I would of went if I did not find my parts for free. I think that the breaks off of a 73 to 82 will all work but I am not for sure. I hope this helps.

Orange70chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 07:44 PM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I beleive 86 was the date Chevy widened the frame.After that things changed "IF" I remember right.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 07:52 PM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

up through 87 on the pickups and through 91 on the Suburbans. The Subs kept the old body style a few more years.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:55 AM   #7
Javy
Account Suspended

Save yourself the aggrevation and pay the bucks for a kit from
www.classicperfom.com. For me,time is money.You could scrounge
junk yards for crusty parts to save money but I'd rather pay a little more money for clean, up to date conversions.Do you want to STOP or don't you.
Javy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 07:34 AM   #8
tmad

Hey Thanks for the help guys!! After some research and thinking Im leaning toward buying the kit. (good point Javy) I know some of you have bought them, Whos got the best price and support???
tmad is offline   Reply With Quote