The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2015, 11:49 AM   #1
72kool

Did my truck originally have trim?

I have a '72 GMC C2500 Custom Camper. It is solid 5188A hugger orange with 817A white cab and bumpers. Did it come with any trim from the factory?I want to do it like the factory but my problem is there are no holes in the body for trim to be put on, but every picture i see of this model has trim on it. what is correct?
72kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:37 PM   #2
72kool

Re: Did my truck originally have trim?

Sorry pictures wont load
Old 03-13-2015, 08:44 PM   #3
71swb4x4

You would have trim between the white and orange around the back of the cab, but that's it. Unless your SPID specifies other trim.

Edit: the GMC in this picture has all three, the trim on the back of the cab, the upper belt, and the lower side trim.
Post a picture of your SPID, and we can tell you what it came with from the factory.
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2015, 11:35 PM   #4
SS Tim

Your truck looks like it is a base trim level truck. "Custom Camper" is an emblem only option and has nothing to do with trim. Basically it means specific minimum chassis equipment options were meet.

As it sits may very well be how it looked new. It is not uncommon to see a base truck with a two-tone roof and not much else. White front bumper, wheels and hubcaps were standard.

Some higher trim levels included the bodyside molding/s and they were a stand alone option as well.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:59 PM   #5
72kool

Thanks for the help. In your guy's opinion,would you leave as is or add a lower trim? I like them both honestly and not sure which i like better
Old 03-14-2015, 12:25 AM   #6
SS Tim

Unless you just have to have more trim I'd leave it off. Looking at a base truck myself that has the moldings because it was ordered with the deluxe two-tone. The white down the side required both upper and lower bodyside moldings. To me it looks a little off on trucks that do not have the windshield and vent window chrome. These of course were part of the trim levels and not included with the bodyside molding option nor offered seperately from the trim options. So a base truck stayed a base in some ways even if you ordered flashy paint.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:07 AM   #7
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72kool View Post
Thanks for the help. In your guy's opinion,would you leave as is or add a lower trim? I like them both honestly and not sure which i like better
Clean is Beautiful. Too much "Gingerbread" could make a good truck look like a pig with lipstick.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote