The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2015, 07:18 AM   #1
cjoenny89

2 quetions 68 ChevyC20 build

First of all this has been a long time coming and I am excited! We took this truck apart when I was 12 years old back in 1986 and now my son is 12 and we are getting back together!
1968 C20 bought new by my Grandfather.
1st question I was thinking about adding shoulder strap seat belts instead of just lap belts. Is there a good way to do this? Is that little cover up on the cab wall for a seat belt post mount? If I pop that tap off is there a threaded hole under it for a seat belt? If not what are those little removeable tabs for on each side of the truck cab about shoulder height?

Question #2 while I am putting the grill together on the 68 I am having trouble trying to figure out how to mount the blinker lights in the grill. I am wondering if I am missing a few brackets? Does anyone have any pictures of there 68 grills and the insides where the blinker light mounts?

The red truck just shows what grill I have the others is our project truck! with my son and my dad.
Thanks
Chad
Attached Images

cjoenny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:28 AM   #2
hugger6933

Re: 2 quetions 68 ChevyC20 build

Answer #1, Yes that is a hole to mount the shoulder belt to, and that is a plastic push in clip in the hole that just pops with a clip tool and a little effort. I think the hole thread size is 7/16 fine thread.
I can't help you on question two cause I haven't torn down any of my 68's yet. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:50 AM   #3
cjoenny89

well my truck and the parts truck I looked at have a metal tab that is tac welded top and bottom to hold the plug in. I was going to remove the one on the parts truck to check for a seat belt mount. I know there are no plastic caps or I would have removed and checked. Since we have painted the inside of the cab I don't want to rip it out and not have a mount there then I would have a ugly open hole and not sure how to hide it. lol. I really hope it is the 7/16 fine for a seat belt! Thanks
Old 06-02-2015, 09:44 AM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoenny89 View Post
well my truck and the parts truck I looked at have a metal tab that is tac welded top and bottom to hold the plug in. I was going to remove the one on the parts truck to check for a seat belt mount. I know there are no plastic caps or I would have removed and checked. Since we have painted the inside of the cab I don't want to rip it out and not have a mount there then I would have a ugly open hole and not sure how to hide it. lol. I really hope it is the 7/16 fine for a seat belt! Thanks

Every '67-'72 truck I have owned (a lot) have had the plastic plugs in the upper seat belt holes. Not sure why anyone would tack weld a plug in them but it wouldn't be factory. Can you post a picture of one of them?

The turn signal housings have two studs on them that fit into a tab in the corner of the grille opening, where they mount. Maybe the studs twisted off of the housings when they were removed. That happens a lot.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:27 AM   #5
cjoenny89

I will stop and take a picture tonight! I have the lights and the studs are there I just over looked the mounting holes in the grill. I will double check that also thanks guys for all the help!
I have 5 or 6 trucks to look at tonight at my cousins place and they all look the same I assumed it was a metal plug that you bent out like a electrical junction box if you are familiar with that kind of stuff it just looks like you push on it and twist it off. All the trucks are diffently connected to the cab and not just a plastic plug. I will take a picture.
I am glad to hear that there is a seat belt mount behind it!
Thanks for all the help.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:10 AM   #6
old Chevy guy

You can learn everything under the sun about Chevy and GMC trucks here. Nice looking project, love the 3 generations working on it ,the kind of things that bond generations. Welcome to the board! and keep posting pictures of your progress. Everybody loves pictures!
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:50 AM   #7
cooperhw

Welcome from sunny Phoenix Arizona. Nice looking project you got going there. Love the story and the pics.
Just like you remember when the project started your son will remember this end of it. Then be ready to do one of his own????
Love them 68's. Little partial as I am also doing one.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:43 PM   #8
rustrunner

Nice truck, and nice family project. I have my 11 year grandson helping me with a 70 restore, but he still wants my 59 Morris, and my granddaughter wants the truck. Just keep them involved.
1953 Fruehauf 30' Lowboy
1928 Cat 30
1939 TORO Bullet Tractor
rustrunner is offline   Reply With Quote