The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2004, 01:53 AM   #1
Joey-D
City's Articulation Ramp

Going to low?!

I have a 69 SWB project. I have made a custom rear frame made of 2x5 tubular steel to replace to rusted one and to tub it a couple of inches. The rear has 5" coils and 2" c-notch under the coil spring. The font is 2 1/2" drop disk brake spindles and 2" coils. Also a 4" body drop. The cab is 4" except in the foot area of the floor which is 2 1/2" drop with a 1 1/2" cab mount drop for more leg room. This totals 11" in rear and 8 1/2" in front. The truck is on a major diet included an all aluminun bed floor, no front wheel wells, and numerous fiberglass pieces to come because this truck with spend a lot of time at the strip. My question is will this truck still be drivable or is it to low? Since I have no motor, tranny, front clip, or bed on the frame I have no way of telling yet. Just wanted some input.
Thanks guys.
Attached Images

Joey-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 09:58 AM   #2
FuelCellGuy
FUEL CELL GURU

Put some...

bags on it so you can raise it and lower it. It ought to be a nice ride when you get it done. Welcome to the board. Later, FuelCellGuy
FuelCellGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 07:16 PM   #3
ShamrockCustoms
Project56 on hold

"This totals 11" in rear and 8 1/2" in front"

That drop will place you extremely low, possibly framing it. Several factors will affect this, primarily spring ratio and end weight. Hard to say before you finish it......

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS daily driver
1956 Chevy Stepside rodstoration on winter hold
ShamrockCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 08:26 PM   #4
Joey-D
City's Articulation Ramp

I was hoping not to bag it for a couple of reasons,
A: The extra weight of setup (bags, lines, tank, compressor)
B: The cost (I already own what I have!)
C: Wouldn't bags make for a terrible launch ( I mean hell there is no weight on the back wheels already)

What is the biggest drop you'all know about without bags?
Old 02-09-2004, 09:25 PM   #5
Izzy
Trucker.

If you're bd'ing with that much static drop you're bound to tear up something.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 01:35 AM   #6
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

joey, on the contrary with your thoughts on the launch. you could air the front bags up to transfer more weight to the rear, while leaving your rears aired down for a baseline. adjust the rears independently to get maximum traction.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 02:09 AM   #7
Joey-D
City's Articulation Ramp

There was an article in the november issue of street trucks ( I think) about a 73-87 c-10 dropped about that much without bags but i have lost the magazine and there for can't study up on it. It was white with a BBC and DOT slicks and the back window read "No Bags, Just Plain Low". I have search my house and the internet for the article but found nothing. If someone has a link to this truck or article it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:38 AM   #8
bagged91
Out draggin'

I know the article you are talking about. I believe he is runnin'
a 5/8 drop on it. THAT is about as low on a static drop you can go and still be able to drive it. If you are dropped 8.5/11, how do you plan on turning the truck? Tires are going to tear up the fender when you turn the wheel. Not very practicle

As far as bags go, 1FaastC10 is right. You have an infinitely adjustable suspension that you can tailor to the truck, track, traction conditions, ect... Not to mention make it streetable. I understand about the cost but if you shop around, you can piece together a setup for a decent price.

As far as the weight is concerned, I GUARANTEE that the coils weigh just as much if not more than a bag setup would.

Also, if you are that worried about weight, why are you still running that heavy a$$ frame. It's obvious that you have fabrication skills, you could have used the OEM frame as a template(sorta), then you could have built a 2 X 4 X .120 box steel frame for it, using a MustangII rack and a 4 link in the rear set up for some coilovers or bags all around and built a nice cage for the truck. That would save you a little weight in the truck and make one heck of a strong frame.

I don't mean to sound like I'm breakin' your stones or anything. Just givin ya my opinion... I would just bag it and then you would be able to drive it on the street w/ no prob. & have one LO MO FO!!!!

Good Luck!
Joe
72 C10 Burb (ex. Cheesewagon)SOLD
72 C20 Burb parts truck
71 C10 Burb "project"
bagged91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 12:13 PM   #9
sixty8c10
MY EX DRIVES A BROOM

I'll agree w/ bagged91......."just bag it"

Building Nemo -1968 C10 Long Bed

FRED -1947 KB-2 International