The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2015, 10:00 AM   #1
Tool Maker

Fighting the electricals on this truck

For the last couple days I have been fighting the lights on my 63. I FINALLY got the brake lights operable after cleaning some connections and establishing better grounds. Tail lights work as well but one issue has me stumped. When I put the left turn signal it works properly and the left brake light blinks as it should. But when I hit the right turn signal, both brakes lights flash like hazards. Anybody have any insight into this?
Tool Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:37 PM   #2
Texas1963

Re: Fighting the electricals on this truck

There is a connector located LH rear near the bumper. Might have a short or something there. I would disconnect, clean and inspect. Then check for power on all three terminals for power(Lh sig,Rh sig and tail lights). With the turn signal in the left position you should only have power on one of the terminals. If 2 have power, the problem might be in the switch on the column or a cross short in the harness. To check for a short in a harness you need a multi meter to do continuity checks between the terminals. Disconnect the connector at the column to isolate the circuit before doing the continuity check. If you have continuity between the terminals this indicates a short in the harness and your problem. Short to ground check. With your multi meter connected to the chassis and your meter set in the continuity function check each terminal. If the meter beeps you have a short to ground. Just make the circuit your testing is isolated. And a wiring schematic is very helpful. I chased my problem and the bed was not properly grounded and the lights where doing all kinds of crazy S%$T. PS Die Electric Grease is your friend.

1963 SWB Fleetside Chevy L6 230
1962 Cadillac Coupe Deville 390
Texas1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:51 PM   #3
65chevysub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Maker View Post
For the last couple days I have been fighting the lights on my 63. I FINALLY got the brake lights operable after cleaning some connections and establishing better grounds. Tail lights work as well but one issue has me stumped. When I put the left turn signal it works properly and the left brake light blinks as it should. But when I hit the right turn signal, both brakes lights flash like hazards. Anybody have any insight into this?
I had the same thing a few months ago and when I took it to the auto electrical shop they found SME of my bulbs in wrong. I don't know how I did it since once "tab" is lower than the other. I know my taillight housings are a little tweaked so that's probably where the problem was. Now all my lights work fine. Should after $70, lol
65chevysub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:56 PM   #4
Tool Maker

I noticed it was happening when the right bulb was out. Only thing I can think of is the switch is doing something crazy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2015, 02:18 PM   #5
jtrichard

the problem is in the switch the contacts are real close in it and get bent a little and touch where they are not suppose to there have been a few posts (with pics) on this but i cant find one right now
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 02:41 PM   #6
Tool Maker

So is this fixable without buying a new switch?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2015, 02:55 PM   #7
jtrichard

open it up and you can tweek the contacts around
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:06 PM   #8
Tool Maker

Yay! Last thing I wanted to do was take the steering wheel off lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-22-2015, 01:08 AM   #9
Cooper197

I had this issue in the front once when I hardwired in new LED's. Turned out I had one of them trying to ground through one of the power wires to the other side. Not really sure how I got that backwards, but it's worth giving the wiring a double check if the bulb appears to be in correctly!
Whatever it is, probably a minor problem.
Cooper197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:52 AM   #10
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

these trucks have a real bad steering column The springs or brass peaces in the the turn signal Have every thing to do with this problem.

I fought it for 15 years Come to find out It was a bad design.If GM could recall it they would have.

Here are the long drawn out fixes that I've tryed.One you have to change the cab body mount the rubber body mounts under the cab to keep the cab from sagging putting unneeded stress on the steering shaft bar better known as the spear.

The reason why most call it the spear is in a font head on accident that bar get pushed in to your chess.

The best way to Fix this problem change steering columns with the 1967-68 Chevy trucks use the 1969--72 wire harness and buy the adapter harness to work with that harness.There's a lot Of ship to make it work but sure is better then fighting with it
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:43 AM   #11
Tool Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsalvage View Post
these trucks have a real bad steering column The springs or brass peaces in the the turn signal Have every thing to do with this problem.

I fought it for 15 years Come to find out It was a bad design.If GM could recall it they would have.

Here are the long drawn out fixes that I've tryed.One you have to change the cab body mount the rubber body mounts under the cab to keep the cab from sagging putting unneeded stress on the steering shaft bar better known as the spear.

The reason why most call it the spear is in a font head on accident that bar get pushed in to your chess.

The best way to Fix this problem change steering columns with the 1967-68 Chevy trucks use the 1969--72 wire harness and buy the adapter harness to work with that harness.There's a lot Of ship to make it work but sure is better then fighting with it
I will go to the local pull a part to see if they have one. I didn't know it was a direct fit.
Posted via Mobile Device