The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2015, 12:05 AM   #1
Mmorgan32

Need help. Finally rebuilding the suspension on my c20

So I desperately need to rebuild the front suspension on my 70 c20. While do the is I plan on hitting up a salvage yard for a disc brake set up off a 71-72 8 lug. I want to lower it a little nothing crazy I just hate how it looks like a 4x4. What I need is upper and lower ball joints, front springs ( I want a drop spring) and tie rods. And I am considering doing an axel flip. Questions. Where can I find a rebuild kit? Do they make them or do I need to piece it together? I do not weld so what is involved in an axel flip?
Old 07-22-2015, 02:10 AM   #2
Mmorgan32

Re: Need help. Finally rebuilding the suspension on my c20

Anybody who has a c20 your input would be greatly appreciated. I can't seem to find much for a 20 and I don't want to swap it over to a half ton
Old 07-22-2015, 10:51 AM   #3
72kool

i just finished, mostly, my 72 C20 this spring. i never found an entire kit for the front end of C20s. I bought all my parts seperate but if you are building just a driver and not a high dollar build, rockauto has some good prices on parts. i could rebuild my front suspension for about $230 if i remember right. that was ball joints, tie rod ends and inner tie rods, sleeves, wheel bearings and seals, and some other misc. parts. so after my small rambling and not really helping you much, my advice is to shop around. there are alot of places to get the parts from
72kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:23 PM   #4
eagleuh1

I rebuilt my 68 C20 front end using 85 Chevy C20 spindles and rotors, disk brake calipers. Better prices on rebuild parts , better availability of parts. I didn't get the crossmember or other steering parts from donor, wished I had, would have made it easier. Also converted to hydroboost at same time. I believe the drop spindles are more readily available for this year as well. Good luck with your truck. Jim
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:29 PM   #5
eagleuh1

If your going to lower it, I would go with drop spindles and keep the stock springs. Axle flip will require cutting off the spring perches and welding perches on bottom of axle. Also, I wouldn't get the rotors or calipers at salvage yard, most likely no good anyways. Mine were not. Spindles were good though. All other parts purchased at Autozone or O'reillys.
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:42 PM   #6
Mmorgan32

Thanks for the info. I guess it depends if I can even find the brake set up. I want to do discs I have power brakes with a proportioning valve. I was planning on getting the spindles and calipers from a junk yard and rebuilding the caliper. Figured it would be cheaper.

Yes this truck is my daily driver. I just want it to ride good and not wander on the road and make any more popping noises. So would lowering leafs be better? I bought a long bed cause I wanted to actually use my truck. I don't tow with it though