The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2004, 01:37 AM   #1
SixthFloorFreak

Am I Crazy?

My dad informed me a few weeks ago that he would take care of the engince/trans for my 84.

After some talking, i convinced him of the idea of putting a T-56 in it. All is well. The plan was for a hot little small block, something like a 383 that me and him could build ourselves.

He's now changed his mind. He wants to jam a 502 into my truck now, but i don't want it. I want this thing to have some street manners, and 500hp seems a little extreme for the street, and the mpg would kill me if i ever wanted to drive it any considerable distance.

i actually have a question now that i am typing this. how much more weight approximately will the BB add? i was planning on dropping my truck at least 4/6, but i'm afraid the extra weight might cause me problems.

also, i can't seem to convince him that i need a posi rear. he says that if i ain't gonna drag race it, what's the use? just seems ludicrous to me to have a hot engine, and no posi rear.
SixthFloorFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 02:44 AM   #2
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

stroked LS based engine in front of the T56 would probably blow the big block out of the water. i agree with you on the posi. whats the point of having the power if you cant put it to the ground?
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 08:55 AM   #3
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

A big block does like gas, even in stock trim. They are over kill in these trucks, unless you can build the entire truck around them. Agreed, they look good sitting between the fenders, and sound mean as hell. A posi is a must, but it ain't going to help much, especially a big block. Just putting it in and driving will be fine, but if you are serious about making your truck a performer, it won't end there. Next will be a rear end that's able to hold up to all this power, along with driveshaft, tranny, etc. Then some kind of suspension capable of transferring all this to the ground is a must. Ask anyone who has a big block how much traction they have. Once you get the suspension setup properly, you will hate the way it rides. It will have to be so stiff, it will beat you to death. If someone can tell me without a doubt, they know of something you can do to make these things hook and the ride is good, I'd do it in a heartbeat. One thing I have learned about these trucks, everything you do to increase power leads to more work. It don't end with just a big motor.

Heck, I don't have traction with my 350 and I have a posi. It would make you sick to be riding around with all that power and couldn't get the full potential out of it. Although it does sound cool to say you have a 502 in your truck.

A lot of reasons folks want a big block is for the cool factor.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 08:56 AM   #4
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Oh, I forgot to add. Sounds like you have a very cool Dad.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 01:59 PM   #5
AirMale

A 502? Go for it! I had A 383/450HP and needed to have the Merlin 548cu. Turbo 400s hold up really well behind big blocks so invest in one. Posi is mandatory. Not that you'll ever get hooked but one wheel drive is weak. I like my 3.42 gears for all around gears. People seem to like 3.73s but with a BBC you won't even need em'.
AirMale is offline   Reply With Quote