The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2016, 11:11 PM   #1
Iz-T

Question Tire help?

I know you guys have probably been asked this a million times and I hate to be that guy but I'm new to all this. And I figured there's no better crew to ask than you all.

So I just got a new (to me) 72, which I'm in love with.DSCN4329 by Turley Knives, on Flickr

But I'm not in love with the wheels and tires.
My plan is to go with stock steel 15" x 8" wheels.

Here's my problem. The truck has a 4" lift in it that I don't want to take out. The tires on it now are 33x12.50.
I'd like to stay with that same height tire but go with a much skinnier size.

My question is, do any of you know where I can get 33" tires for 15" rims but no wider than 9.50?

I can't seem to find any new tires in that size or narrower.
Any help you could give would be much appreciated.
Thank you!

*Edited* to add: I'd like snow and mud tread for sure. But nothing with real deep tread. Something around a 19/ is what I'm thinking. Nothing so deep that it won't balance well and ride like crap.
Iz-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:28 PM   #2
jocko

Re: Tire help?

I'm not aware of any 15s with an overall height of 33 and under 9.5 width. What you should search for is the highest aspect ratio (like an 85, 75 minimum - i.e. a tall and skinny aspect ratio). But most 85s are for 16" rims. Not much help. I like the direction you're going, but might want to reconsider the lift. I would agree, it will look goofy with 30" tires on a 4" lift. Perhaps step down to a 2" lift? I personally think that would look the best, especially with 15s. Another option is to go with a 6 lug 16" wheel from a custom mfgr. Pricey tho, but it's not like steelies are cheap these days, once you throw in a good powder coat.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:07 AM   #3
Acorn

Re: Tire help?

Limited selection but, you can get 33/10.5.
A few examples...
https://www.treaddepot.com/#!tireListBySize/33105015
Old 03-11-2016, 12:16 AM   #4
Iz-T

Thumbs up Re: Tire help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
I'm not aware of any 15s with an overall height of 33 and under 9.5 width. What you should search for is the highest aspect ratio (like an 85, 75 minimum - i.e. a tall and skinny aspect ratio). But most 85s are for 16" rims. Not much help. I like the direction you're going, but might want to reconsider the lift. I would agree, it will look goofy with 30" tires on a 4" lift. Perhaps step down to a 2" lift? I personally think that would look the best, especially with 15s. Another option is to go with a 6 lug 16" wheel from a custom mfgr. Pricey tho, but it's not like steelies are cheap these days, once you throw in a good powder coat.
Great suggestions, man. I did think about going down to a 2" lift and really, like you say, that would be ideal. Easier to get into and easier to find the perfect tire/wheel setup. But my budget is tight, I only have the cash right now for new tires and wheels plus a few little things that need fixed.
I'll look into some six lug 16" wheels like you suggested. Looking more and more like the way I'll have to go. I mentioned the 15" because I've got a line on a good deal on some steelies.
Thanks for your help!
Old 03-11-2016, 12:17 AM   #5
Iz-T

Thumbs up Re: Tire help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
Limited selection but, you can get 33/10.5.
A few examples...
https://www.treaddepot.com/#!tireListBySize/33105015
Great link, Acron. Thank you!