The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2016, 01:56 PM   #1
Moneypit

Options to keep 3 on tree but upgrade trans

I love driving my 68 with the 3 on the tree. It originally came with a 307 and will soon have a new 350 in place. I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet so I don't have any specs but it won't be anything crazy. The truck also has a basic rearend, 3.08 peg leg I believe.

I figure if I'm going to spend the time and money upgrading the engine I should at least take a look at the rest of the drivetrain and consider my options. The truck won't seen any heavy hauling or racing and I'm not looking to make it anything spectacular. Just something that is a bit more reliable and fun to drive. I really want to keep the 3 on the tree so what are my options for the trans/rearend? Should I have the trans rebuilt even though there doesn't appear to be anything currently wrong with it? If I do get it rebuilt should I stick with the stock gear ratios keeping in mind it will see mostly around town driving but some highway as well? What about beefing it up in anyway and making it stronger, is that even an option? Or should I just leave the trans alone for now and put in some lower gears with a locking diff?

Thanks for any advice.
2006 Victory Vegas 8-Ball
2012 Ram 1500 4x4
Moneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:37 PM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: Options to keep 3 on tree but upgrade trans

Go with a M-21 or 22 Muncie 4 speed you can still use the 3ott shifter with R being 1st gear but you'll have to run a short cable to engage reverse , It's been done before by member Locdoc if I remember correctly and your getting your four speed on the tree and that's cool , Plus who could steal it nobody knows how to drive a 3 speed ? Look for a 3.73 factory posi , Their hard to come by and most of us lucked into the ones we have but they can still be found with a little begging and pleading to the guys hoarding them ( not that I have any ideas who that might be ) HAHA ! And NO mine are NOT FOR SALE !
Posted via Mobile Device
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 04:48 PM   #3
Moneypit

Re: Options to keep 3 on tree but upgrade trans

That's a pretty awesome idea. I'll look into it. What's the difference between the 21 and 22? The rear end housing is all the same isn't it? Can't I just change out the center section with any aftermarket 3.73 posi?
2006 Victory Vegas 8-Ball
2012 Ram 1500 4x4
Moneypit is offline   Reply With Quote