The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2016, 12:52 PM   #1
frankenstein55

55' swb TF 3100 on a 1967 swb c10 frame.

Hey Y'all,

I have been building/driving a 1965 SWB stepside c10 since probably 1992. I put the 65' body on a 67' chassis cause the 65' frame was garbage and I knew the 67' was good since I was driving it. I just liked the 65' look better.
I recently started redoing it again, this time much more high end. Disc brakes all around, rack & pinion, coil overs, nasty stance, fuel injected Big block, power everything . all the goodies. However, I recently picked up a swb stepside TF 55' cab and front end. No frame. I have always liked the 55' to 57' body lines MUCH better than the 60'-66' so now I wanna put the 55' body on the 67' chassis, which is purty much ready for powder coat now. Question is...considering the 55-59 stepsides have the same bed as the 60-66's and only a 1" shorter wheel base...Will the 55' body mount to the 67' frame. Oh yeah...the 65' body fit the 67' frame perfectly except for moving the rear cab perches up a few inches. Everything else went right on. Has anyone here done this swap before or know of it being done. I've put stupid money into this truck already and I'm not gonna start over with a different chassis so I'm either gonna make this work or just finish the 65' and do the 55' later. I know You guys can help as I've been lurking on this site for years, gleaning all kinds of good info and tricks. Any help or advice will be welcomed with open ears. Thanks Y'all, CAR
frankenstein55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:16 PM   #2
Kim57

Re: 55' swb TF 3100 on a 1967 swb c10 frame.

Welcome.
Not sure if that exact swap has been done but guys have put the 55-59s on newer frames so it can be done.
Just need to take measurements and see where everything is going to end up.
Probably have to move cab mounts.
Kim
Old 05-10-2016, 11:32 AM   #3
frankenstein55

Thanks for the comment....I'm certain I can MAKE it fit. Just wondering if raising the cab perches to account for the dip in the 67' frame will make the cab sit too high and affect my ride height. I've got it slammed purty low...6 1/2" front and 7" rear. And if I mount the cab lower I'll have to do all kinda choppin and fabbin' to the bed and front clip to get it fit correctly. Like I said, the frame is all but powder coated and I'm not sure I wanna start choppin it up to make all this fit. If it's just movin the mounts around, no problem, but any more than that to the chassis and it might not be worth it. I'm sure someone has to have done this swap before... I've seem some jacked 4x4's but no slammed trucks. Just gonna have to mock it all up and see I reckon.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:50 AM   #4
Wbrown

Subscribed to this thread. I have a 71 c10 and a 55 task force was thinking about doing the same thing, on the 71 I think the front end is too wide so it has me at a stand still. I will pull measurements tomorrow, I wanna tuck 22's and don't think I'll be able to.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:20 AM   #5
frankenstein55

Wbrown...Well, Looks like the 55' is gonna fit fairly well on the 67' frame. I did some fitting last night and the rear cab perches are in the right spot but are 3 or 4 inches too low...the fronts are waaaay too low but also somewhat in the correct place. If all goes to plan (Yeah Right) I should only need to fab up some taller and longer front perches and just make a spacer for the rear. The core support mounts are gonna be useless and I'll have to fab some to make it fit but it should all work out with purty much no cuttin or choppin on the frame aside from drilling out the dreaded GM rivets securing the perches.

Now...concerning the track width...I'm in the same boat as You ...I heard told that Porterbuilt makes some shorter control arms for the C10...around 1.5" i think and CPP's modular spindles are about .75" shorter than GM. If my math is correct that should narrow the track by 4.5". Although by my measurements I need at least 5", I think we can just use the right backspacing on the front wheels to get the rest of the way. I'm going with 18" front and 20" rear...and she's slammed purty damn low. What did You come up with from Your measurements?
Old 05-15-2016, 05:40 PM   #6
Wbrown

What I measured on my 71 came up way to wide to run under the 55, but this guy said with the right offset it fit perfect on his.
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2016, 11:53 AM   #7
frankenstein55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbrown View Post
What I measured on my 71 came up way to wide to run under the 55, but this guy said with the right offset it fit perfect on his.
Right on! I have the exact same wheels, size and all though I clearly have the wrong backspacing up front. Any way we could contact him and find out exactly what backspacing he used?