The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2016, 10:10 AM   #1
thedudeabides86

Unhappy Power issue

So, here goes. I hope I can explain this in a way that doesn't drive everyone crazy in route to trying to understand what my issue is.

I had a bad 305 in the truck in my avatar and it was clanking bad. That's a another story. A strong, used 350 was put in it's place and in now in the truck. Fast forward to our first attempt at starting the engine. No power. No headlights. No horn. Nada. Neine. Nussing, Lebowski. I'm no wire guy and didn't document what wires went where when we pulled the motor. I'm a rookie at this and I've learned my lesson. With that being said, I've got a fully charged battery, the ignition wires to the starter, and everything I think I need to get power to the headlights. I'll take some pictures tonight and try to make it easier to show what wires go where and so forth. If anyone has any suggestions, any help would be great.

I'm grateful for this forum as I've learned so much from it already and everybody is awesome at offering help. Thank you so much!!
Old 08-24-2016, 10:26 AM   #2
dazza

Re: Power issue

looks like a 71 or 72? unless you put that grill on an older one. It will also help once you get the pictures up. If possible, draw up something showing the layout of how you have the wiring currently. Take a picture of your drawing with your phone.
'72 K10 SWB, 350, sm465/np205
---- ----
dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:28 AM   #3
dazza

Also, have you used a volt meter on ALL of your current starter connections to verify that they go where they should be going?
You should work on fixing one thing at a time. Get it to start, then work on the headlights, etc. or whichever order you prefer.
'72 K10 SWB, 350, sm465/np205
---- ----
dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:03 PM   #4
TheGhost

OK - super simple, you have the positive hooked to the starter...do you have the negative hooked to a good "ground"? If you have nothing anywhere, sounds like you might be missing or bad "ground". If so, I think there should be a second wire at or near the positive side of the battery that is a fusible link that goes to a block of some kind. Then maybe a couple of wires off of the block that go back to the firewall connector.

Last edited by TheGhost; 08-24-2016 at 09:10 PM.
TheGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:54 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Make sure that you have the wire (Fusible Link) that TheGhost is referring to between the Positive battery post and the junction block on the passengers side fender, and that the power feed wire is connected to the junction block also.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote