The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2016, 03:09 PM   #1
67/Heaven

P.S. or Rack and Pinion

Okay so the next project on my old truck is power steering and I am on the fence whether to go with a traditional power steering install or go with a Unisteer rack and pinion unit. Now I am running a 292 so the only option for the power steering bracket is on ebay for about $143 and that would work fine for the p.s. but I do not know if the saginaw pump would work with the Rack and Pinion unit. Furthermore I will still need to change the main crank pulley to a three grove unit unless I drive it off of the water pump. Which leads me to my next question, is anyone out there running the power steering pump directly off of the water pump pulley. I have read that this set up may cause the water pump to slip and not be a efficient in circulating the coolant. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
67/Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:19 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: P.S. or Rack and Pinion

Weather you go with power steering or power rack you will still have to have a pump no matter. Unless I read this wrong and you were gonna use a man rack
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:24 PM   #3
67/Heaven

Yes I know I have to have a pump, guess the question is has anyone used a saginaw pump for their unisteer rack and pinion
Old 09-23-2016, 06:27 PM   #4
67/Heaven

This is due to the 292 ps pump mounting bracket obstacle that we all run into (those of us with the 292 engines) , the only bracket I can find is one for a saginaw pump and the unisteer bracket supplied will not work on my engine thus i am limited to a saginaw pump
Old 09-23-2016, 07:20 PM   #5
leftybass209

If you run a Saginaw pump, you need to swap the valve in it so it doesn't push much more than 800psi.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:29 PM   #6
Jrainman

there is alway Electric PS , they say the PS pump robs 10Hp, but any how I was looking in to using the 2003-07 Saturn electric unit a lot of guys do this conversion with good results
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:16 PM   #7
leftybass209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrainman View Post
there is alway Electric PS , they say the PS pump robs 10Hp, but any how I was looking in to using the 2003-07 Saturn electric unit a lot of guys do this conversion with good results
That electric unit is the same one that has had a recall on it. Though, GM has only recalled certain batch numbers. Ive had both the Cobalt version and a Saturn version go out.

Switching the load on the engine from a mechanical pump to a high current electrical load, is still a load nonetheless. Adding an electric pump means more amps, around 35-40 amps from some systems at lock to lock, and around 10-15 amps pretty steady otherwise. Those amps need to come from the alternator, which will most likely need an upgrade, along with the wiring if it's a 10 or 12si. On an inline 6, it's most certainly an alternator that was never designed to put out more than 60A.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:32 PM   #8
Jrainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
That electric unit is the same one that has had a recall on it. Though, GM has only recalled certain batch numbers. Ive had both the Cobalt version and a Saturn version go out.

Switching the load on the engine from a mechanical pump to a high current electrical load, is still a load nonetheless. Adding an electric pump means more amps, around 35-40 amps from some systems at lock to lock, and around 10-15 amps pretty steady otherwise. Those amps need to come from the alternator, which will most likely need an upgrade, along with the wiring if it's a 10 or 12si. On an inline 6, it's most certainly an alternator that was never designed to put out more than 60A.
Just Sayin other options are out there, and thanks for the input on your personal experience sorry to here you had problems with your electric unit .
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:45 PM   #9
Overdriven

As nice as a rack sounds, I'd stick with a normal p/s box. If you want an upgrade Over a stock box look into AGR steering boxes, good stuff from what I've read and what I plan on using when I get to that point.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote