The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2016, 06:47 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Are the original light housings galvanized steel?

Are the tail, reverse and park housings made of galvanized steel?

I was searching for paint ideas for the housings and came across a thread about how you should protect yourself (e.g., use a respirator) when sanding galvanized steel.........Just curious if I'm going to die is all.............JK.......I did sand one, but was wearing nuisance mask, for whatever it's worth.

Thanks
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:27 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Are the original light housings galvanized steel?

The nuisance dust mask will probably minimize the small amount of powdered zinc from getting to your lungs. The mucous in your nose and throat will stop most of it. The real threat is from the fumes when you weld, but one or two tail light buckets probably won't make you sick, if you are just sanding. I wouldn't recommend a lot of it. I know of people who have died from welding a bunch of galvanized in the wrong conditions. If you get short of breath and develop a fever, you done screwed the pooch and should get medical attention tout-suite, but the effects are pretty short lived unless you have been doing it all day.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:40 PM   #3
In The Ten Ring

I'll ask the welding teacher if I talk with him this week. I wear a "respirator" type mask when even grinding as the grinding disks contain fiberglass, or so I have been told.

Chucke2009, who is a youtube welding star, wears a respirator and sets up a fume extraction system when welding such materials. I'd run a fan along with the respirator but first, I'd speak with my welding instructor.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:17 PM   #4
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
The nuisance dust mask will probably minimize the small amount of powdered zinc from getting to your lungs. The mucous in your nose and throat will stop most of it. The real threat is from the fumes when you weld, but one or two tail light buckets probably won't make you sick, if you are just sanding. I wouldn't recommend a lot of it. I know of people who have died from welding a bunch of galvanized in the wrong conditions. If you get short of breath and develop a fever, you done screwed the pooch and should get medical attention tout-suite, but the effects are pretty short lived unless you have been doing it all day.
I read about welding as well. I think you're confirming that yes, they are galvanized. I'd have thought so. Seriously, I feel fine. Coincidentally, I had already purchased a new respirator. I'll wait for that to finish the other just cuz, which is the simple one............Some rust and pitting on the rear sides, which looks common, though they'll come out nice. Just an extra pair. Think I'll hit em with this stuff, and thanks for the response.

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-75...steel&th=1#Ask
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 10-19-2016, 11:57 PM   #5
FirstOwner69

I suggest that you try fine steel wool rather than sandpaper. It may also help if you were to spray a bit of WD-40 on the steel wool. That would aid in rust removal as well as capture the minor amount of dust. Don't wear through the galvanizing, or you'll really have a rust problem.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:33 PM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
I suggest that you try fine steel wool rather than sandpaper. It may also help if you were to spray a bit of WD-40 on the steel wool. That would aid in rust removal as well as capture the minor amount of dust. Don't wear through the galvanizing, or you'll really have a rust problem.
Won't work if the goal is smooth as possible without compromising thickness. Steel wool only hits the surface and the backs of these are pitted in places. I soaked them in diluted white vinegar between a wire brush, red scour pad and WD-40. Agree with the rust issue. They're even more prone and need to be coated.