The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2017, 03:29 PM   #1
Gmc.guy

1969 gmc build thread

I bought this truck in 2010 in an estate auction with another truck that had power steering and brakes 71 (Chevy) Both were longbed fleet sides both looked rough and went for a fairly reasonable price so I bought them I am into square body trucks but this one popped up so I decided to keep it. I work in it occasionally and hardly at all. I used the board here for lots of info so I figured I might as well show some of the stuff I did. I have been working on it for 5 years and it might be another 10. I might only update a couple times a year
Old 01-09-2017, 03:33 PM   #2
Gmc.guy

Re: 1969 gmc build thread

I have since buying it Shortened it to a shortbed, added power steering and brakes. Rebuilt rear suspension and trailing arms Brake hoses, cylinders, front and rear is all new
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2017, 03:35 PM   #3
Gmc.guy

The rockers and cab corners are rough but the roof and cowl is really good. I have new fenders and bumper for the front and I plan to buy a complete new shortbed wood floor and new chrome bumper.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:59 PM   #4
Gmc.guy

It has a 307 that was converted to propane in 84. It has the factory 2 barrel carb base with an impco ?425? I think, Factory angled manifold, y pipe and single 2 1/4 with a smaller flowmaster. 2 1/2 Tailpipe right out the back. I put hei on it and gapped the plugs up and got rid of the resistor wire. The complete original wiring harness is in great shape and some small fixes made everything work. The original bed was completely wasted wood was gone and just no saving it at all. You can see the huge propane tank that goes in the bed. It's 420 litre I believe. I plan to keep it propane and I have since stashed the original tank and filler and lines that are in pretty good shape and hasn't had gas in it since the propane conversion. It's a nice smooth running and driving truck and it handles and brakes well. It sounds factory-tough not hotrod tough.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:32 PM   #5
Gmc.guy

I have done many square body trucks but this is the first of this style I have done body work on. I'll do the rockers, cab corners, kick panels and the front cab mounts. I have new fenders and the original hood is nice. I'll get a new shortbed with a wood floor for it one summer here. I have a set of doors that are in good shape as well. I have an original shortbed for it but it is beat and rusty I was going to use it for reference if I wanted to shorten a longbed for it. I'll figure out the trim and some original hubcaps as well. I plan to keep original paint on firewall and interior. Most of the saddle interior is ok. I'll get to it one day too. The picture posted above is current to last fall and current cost in the project is about 2400$ since 2010. Still has 1/2 tank of fuel so I haven't even spent anything on fuel either.

And they are 235/70 front and 245/70 ( not matching ) on the 15x6 wheels that were on it when I bought it. I painted the wheels grey because that's what I had, 2 wheels were black and one was white. Other red oxide. I just threw some caps on it that I had . The truck gets driven around the yard and into the shop and not on the road.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:30 PM   #6
raggedjim

Looks like you have a great start on this one.

Good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
'73 Firebird - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=853203
raggedjim is online now   Reply With Quote