The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2004, 08:29 PM   #1
83stepside

throttle cable too long???

Hello all....own a 83 4x4 step side here and i believe my throttle cable is too long.Heres the deal....have a holley 0-80451 carb "street legal" bolted to a edelbrock "performer"intake all sitting on a 350 now the "stock" throttle bracket is bolted to the last intake bolts on the drivers side just behind the carb itself at ITS ohh..id say 7 o'clock position.The vehicle has a hard time returning fully to idle..and I have noticed that i have to manually turn the throttle back to "idle" by hand...its just a twitch..but a big difference in idle speed.My current throttle cable does a big "S" bend just before it go's into the firewall..which would explain a "stiff' pedal..which is what I got....now..do they make a shorter cable???This current cable is a stock cable for carb'd engines.I guess i should just take a pic and send it in.OR if any of you have pictures of your Carb/throttle cable set-ups i can pick which one looks like mine.

oh well...this is the first of 2 problems i'm haveing.

thanks for your time

Brent
83stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 07:26 AM   #2
TwinTurbo

I have EXACTLY the same problem, my throttle cable makes an S bend too and I had to put some big springs on it so it would return to proper idle stop. I tried a lokar cable but the clevis is all wrong and won't hook up to the pedal

I modified my cable to install a small cable luber t fitting so i can lue it easily every now and then. It helped a bit and allowed me to run lighter springs but it's still less than satisfactory. I too own a 83 stepper.

I can take a pic of my setup today, will post it.
TwinTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 12:19 PM   #3
TwinTurbo

Here's the pic of my throttle cable, the s bend can clearly be seen

Old 04-01-2004, 10:19 PM   #4
83stepside

Hey..thats it!...same "S" bend too....geesh..my truck originally came with a 305 with a Rochester on it..how in the heck did that set-up have a smooth throttle,I know for sure the cable is too long...my pedal will not raise up all the way off the floor like it should..alot of slack in the cable itself on the pedal end.I'll have to do some re-search i guess on a solution.my motor bogs down a bit when "tip-in" throttle is needed..because i can't just tip it in.......I wonder if this problem is related.

thanks for your help and pic...

Brent
Old 04-02-2004, 10:34 AM   #5
chevyjr73

i have an 86 c10 that i put an edelbrock performer carb on. it is the stock manifold with an adapter plate and i didnt have any problem with mine. it must be the intake manifold that is causing this though i dont see why it would throw it off that much. did you mount your throttle return bracket to the right intake manifold bolts? you know you can modify where the linkage goes on the carb to accomadate a longer cable. i can send pics if you would like.
chevyjr73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 12:52 PM   #6
TwinTurbo

Mine came with a Q-jet equipped 305 too, that's what the problem must be. Still looking for a cable that does fit.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:06 PM   #7
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Mine is S shaped also. This is the way they are suppsed to be. My cable is stock. The carb has nothing to do with the shape of the cable. As long as the bracket is the right one and mounted in the proper place, it's right.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 02:25 PM   #8
TwinTurbo

How is your pedal? As sucky as mine?
Old 04-02-2004, 05:21 PM   #9
beaterC10

I had the same problem when I swapped a 350 w/performer intake for the stock 305. The solution for me was to buy a new factory cable from the dealer. It still has the bend, but works smooth and returns good.

The old cable was frayed, the frayed cable was dragging on the plastic sleeve.
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 05:47 PM   #10
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Mine works great. Never had any problems. You might need to replace your cable. It may have a kink in it or something. Get a GM part if you can. Stay away from cheap pieces you find places like Autozone.
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 05:53 PM   #11
TwinTurbo

Might have to do that, somehow the inner cable is digging into the sleeve, so it feels. Lubing it certianly helped quite a bit but it's still not how I want it. Time to order a cable, this time I'm definitely getting a GM.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:52 PM   #12
83stepside

I think i will purchase a new cable as well....as far as where I have it bolted to on the carb...i have one big hole on top of the throttle arm (Holley) followed by 4 small holes all under each other going down the arm ..I have my cable hooked to the 2nd small hole...theory would be good if i could bolt it up to the top "big" hole...that would pull cable out more.(shorten it up )..and would increase ease of rotation for throttle arm.

know what i mean??? will get a new cable though.

thanks for all the help guys...thanks a bunch

Brent