The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2017, 10:41 AM   #76
toolboxchev

Re: name your American made parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Used parts. I plan to buy my side trim and bed strips from Mar-K,but pretty much the rest of my scratch built '67 GMC is from good used GM parts or N.O.S.

I am one who does not sell out on my fellow Americans to save a few dollars and am happy to pay more for American. Unfortunately,those who did fall for that helped to make it to how it is now where there is rarely a choice. The comparison is more like a $5 part made over seas costs $45 vs $50 for made in USA. I'll pay the extra $5 given a choice.
Amen to that! Truth be told, If you go and look take time to shop around you would be surprised to find that there is quality goods still out there Made In America.

You may also find that their price is competitive, And I not only speak of truck parts. Here is an example:http://www.justinoriginalworkboots.c...%20gender:mens
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:47 AM   #77
toolboxchev

NOT ever say die, just look around you will find em, here is another:

http://www.hellwigproducts.com/about/

I have a set!
Old 04-22-2017, 11:54 AM   #78
B. W.

I firmly believe in buying American if at all possible. I wear American made boots, jeans, socks & T shirts, I can't find workshirts or under wear that I like made in USA, if I find them I'll buy them.
OK, got carried away - as far as our trucks go, doing a compete rebuild/restore on a '70 K20. I have a spreadsheet of every part with description, P/N, manufacturer, country of origin, supplier, cost & fitment (if it is not OE to this truck, what year/make/model)
Without doing any math, just a quick scan, most of the parts I have installed are made in USA. (approx. 75%)
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:33 PM   #79
71threequarterton

I ALWAYS check to see the origin of anything I buy. Sometimes we don't have a choice but when I have a choice, I don't mind spending more for something made in USA. My experience is US made stuff is generally better quality than stuff from China. What really grinds my gears is companies can print "Made in USA" on their products even if only a small percentage of the parts on that product are sourced here in the US. In my opinion that is being downright deceptive in order to win over the business of folks like me who try to buy US. I'd rather reward a local business than a corporation which tries to deceive me on technicalities. To each his own.

71 Chevrolet C20
94 GMC Yukon 4x4

71threequarterton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:44 PM   #80
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxchev View Post
You may also find that their price is competitive, And I not only speak of truck parts. Here is an example:http://www.justinoriginalworkboots.c...%20gender:mens
On that note Red Wing boots and shoes still made here: http://www.redwingheritage.com/us/USD/mens-footwear

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:42 PM   #81
ElKotze

Yukon gear and axle. Their ring and pinion sets and master overhaul kits are made in USA.
'72 C20 Cheyenne Super, 396, TH400
'66 C60, 292, 4speed
ElKotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:27 AM   #82
toolboxchev

Yeeah, lets keeps this going!
Old 04-23-2017, 12:33 AM   #83
In The Ten Ring

Only buying American made anything is xenophobic and probably racist.

JUST KIDDING! (Did you think I was a Leftist?)

Most of my truck is American made, as it is mostly factory. I can't speak for the tires as my dad bought those in 2004 but the spare is original to the truck.

The parts I have put on: all NOS or OEM body panels...what might be foreign made?

Possibly (as I do not know):

rear brake drum rebuild parts
carb rebuild kit
fuel filter
some screws, bolts, and washers,
the cab to frame bushing kit?
Likely the new windshield wiper pump
fuel lines
floor mat
taillights
pedal pads.
rubber hoses
hose clamps

I know my radiator is foreign made, assuming I use the aluminum one.

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; 04-23-2017 at 01:38 AM.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:06 AM   #84
custom10nut

I will stay away from parts made in foreign countries as much as absolutely possible. I like to get parts from salvage yards and swap meets. I have a couple vendors that I use that have only "made in USA" parts. Sometimes I pay more, but it's worth it to me. and their Customer Service keeps me coming back.
For retail stuff, my wife and I stay away from the Super Discount places, because most of the cheap junk they sell doesn't support American working families
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:05 PM   #85
towbar

Location: Marshall, NC....heart of the Appalachians.....aka, Gods country!!

Just got a custom cloth insert seat cover for my 72 (with NOS insert material) from C.A.R.S. in Michigan....very nice build quality and scroll definition, made to order, don't have it on yet to discuss fitment.

As a side note: Tim from Truckseats chased this down for me and was super helpful in finding me the exact seat cover I needed and hooking me up with C.A.R.S. He could have purchased the cover himself, marked it up when selling it to me, however as a retailer with great ethics, this type of business practice wasn't for him.....Kudos to Tim, and thank you!!
towbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:49 PM   #86
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JointTech View Post
corporate profit feeds my 401k so yea Im all for it. Hmm should we pay a union assembly line worker $25+ an hour, and then deal with the EPA, OSHA, Obamacare and taxes? Or ship it to mexico and back? Are US workers really better? Dont you think they would use the same cheap pot metal and crappy stamps in a US factory? This isnt 1950. The corporate profit sneered at above would take place here as much as anywhere else.

And the bottom line is if you (generic you, calm down) have the choice between a $5 chinee (sic) part or a $50 american one; which gets purchased 99% of the time? A business cant run on the 1% of the population. There is no market for US stuff that costs 3 times as much.

So quit going to walmart, target, etc and go find US craftsmen and small shops to buy stuff from, then vote against the scumbags that put all the regulations in, quit paying your union dues and maybe, just maybe we can bring manufacturing back to the US.
Rather amusing to see this from 4 years ago. This was before I retired. Corporate profits and my wages paid into my 401(k), as well. I retired 1.5 years after this thread started. My point was that I bought a part made in China and paid full dealer retail for it. I don't like that aspect of it. The difference in paying a person in the US and a person in China is huge; meaning that there is a bigger profit in the part at the retail level. That's not something I tend to agree with, especially when the part is obviously inferior in quality. Also, plenty of people have posted in this thread that they have bought US made parts, and aren't complaining about the cost or quality.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:33 AM   #87
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by JointTech View Post
corporate profit feeds my 401k so yea Im all for it. Hmm should we pay a union assembly line worker $25+ an hour, and then deal with the EPA, OSHA, Obamacare and taxes? Or ship it to mexico and back? Are US workers really better? Dont you think they would use the same cheap pot metal and crappy stamps in a US factory? This isnt 1950. The corporate profit sneered at above would take place here as much as anywhere else.

And the bottom line is if you (generic you, calm down) have the choice between a $5 chinee (sic) part or a $50 american one; which gets purchased 99% of the time? A business cant run on the 1% of the population. There is no market for US stuff that costs 3 times as much.

So quit going to walmart, target, etc and go find US craftsmen and small shops to buy stuff from, then vote against the scumbags that put all the regulations in, quit paying your union dues and maybe, just maybe we can bring manufacturing back to the US.
You, and I mean you, couldn't be more far off. Sounds like you have corporate greed yourself. Same US made part for $50 is $5 from China? What are you tripping on? We are talking retail here, not corporate sell your fellow American workers out greed wholesale. If you need to exaggerate that bad you have no point. I don't see anything so much cheaper. I see the same prices or at least within 5%. Pretty much as much as sales tax we pay so corporations can get their tax break to enable them to sell our jobs out. Illegal immigrants coming over our borders to do work done here or manufacturing abroad is the same thing, and that is what is hurting us so bad.

I don't know how this post wasn't scratched for it's political references or inflammatory nature. I figure if it has been allowed to stay this long, it's ok for me to post how I feel about or children's jobs being sold out by the fortunate few.

BTW, to answer your question, I never sold out and will always buy the American parts, no matter how much more. Same with everything, whenever possible. Why? Because I'm an American worker who doesn't like hypocrites and wouldn't want to be one

I roll on good ole Cooper tires. Made in the USA since 1914

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-26-2017 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Cooper Tires
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote