The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2017, 08:40 PM   #1
Spl170s

70 C20 Big Block and Brake Booster

Recently bought by a 70 C20 I had sold to co worker. Since he got it, he did a swap to a BB454 with TH400. The truck has factory drum brakes with just a master cylinder and valve. Im looking to add a brake booster. I see where summit racing offers a setup with booster, bracket and new master cylinder.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...del/c20-pickup

Anyone familiar with this brake setup and or BB setup be able to give input if this would work for my application?

Thanks!
Spl170s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:25 PM   #2
jocko

Re: 70 C20 Big Block and Brake Booster

not familiar with the summit setup - looks like correct bracketry, but dang that booster looks tiny. Also, note that it specifically states it's for a disk/drum setup, so this would be for a conversion to disk/drum, not a stock 70 4x drum setup. Might consider a used stock bracket from someone parting a truck in the parts section, a stock over the counter booster for a C20 and master cylinder if you want to keep it all drums.

Also, member CaptainFab makes a very nice bracket to mount a booster to non-power brake trucks that doesn't protrude as much - it's a nice piece. He can recommend factory over the counter boosters you can get at a local parts store.

One more thought - if it's potentially in your future to do a disk swap, save some money in the long term and do that along with the power brake addition - the master cylinder is different between a 70 drum and a 71+ disk setup (and your link would work for this, but it's still a small booster, to me anyway). Just a thought.

Personally, I'd buy a stock bracket from a 71-72 from a board member parting out a truck, a 71-72 C20 master and booster from a local auto parts store, and do the disk swap sooner than later - really is a big difference in performance/safety. When it comes to boosters and master cylinders, my experience has led me to prefer to buy locally so it makes it a little easier to return - because there have often been issues with either what they ordered or how the mis-interpreted what I at least tried to order (or perhaps it was me) - but the average behind the counter type nowadays is the one that insists you must tell them your engine size so they can enter it in the computer, when you're trying to buy tires...

But whatever you decide, keep us posted!!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:54 PM   #3
Spl170s

Re: 70 C20 Big Block and Brake Booster

your right, i contacted summit and they confirm its for disk/drum setup. I was hoping to find a setup with bracketry and connecting rods needed all as a package deal. but not looking like that will be the case. i hadn't put much thought into disk, but may do some research in that direction b4 i get into this swap to far. thanks
Spl170s is offline   Reply With Quote