The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-18-2017, 03:19 PM   #1
1971_c10

Re: Project Lemon Drop: anything but stock!

Man, that enclosure is looking good. Very nice work!

On the antenna, I was looking around at these guys:
http://www.tunetrapper.com/Hidden_Car_Antennas.html

They sound more like amateur radio heads and seem to know what they are talking about based on my past experience in amateur radio. But, I haven't tried it so I can't say if it works. Curious if you tried something like this or one of the hundreds of "amplified" antennas because I was thinking the same spot as you, behind the dome light between there and the B pillar corner. But your luck may be changing my mind. And of course, our cabs are just metal cages which doesn't help. Thanks for the update on the details!

Build Thread for my '71 Pro-Touring: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=722029
My C10 has it's own facebook page! www.facebook.com/c10cj - it is a public page so no facebook account required to browse through.
1971_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:21 PM   #2
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Re: Project Lemon Drop: anything but stock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971_c10 View Post
Man, that enclosure is looking good. Very nice work!

On the antenna, I was looking around at these guys:
http://www.tunetrapper.com/Hidden_Car_Antennas.html

They sound more like amateur radio heads and seem to know what they are talking about based on my past experience in amateur radio. But, I haven't tried it so I can't say if it works. Curious if you tried something like this or one of the hundreds of "amplified" antennas because I was thinking the same spot as you, behind the dome light between there and the B pillar corner. But your luck may be changing my mind. And of course, our cabs are just metal cages which doesn't help. Thanks for the update on the details!

Thanks. I read what they claim about the antenna and I think I will give them a try and place it under the cowl.

UPDATE. "1972_c10" Chris, I read some reviews about the TuneTrapper antenna on a motorcycle forum and a few that have tried it said they were disappointed. FYI. I'm not sure if I will get one right now. I think I'll try a cowl or fender antenna under the truck or in the engine compartment, because I forgot that we sealed off my cowl. So I cant put it under there.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200082

Last edited by jugernot; 07-21-2017 at 06:36 PM.
jugernot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:18 AM   #3
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Unhappy Re: Project Lemon Drop: anything but stock!

I need some input........

I have been putting the Helmsman Spar Varnish on the underside side of the bed wood. I let it cure for 6 or so hours, lightly sanded with a 400 grit, wiped the boards down with a tack cloth, before applying the next coat. After the first coat I noticed that the varnish appeared to be ( for the lack of a better word to describe it) like an orange peal. I thought each coat I applied after the first would level everything out, but it DID NOT.

Perhaps it was caused by bubbles in the varnish. I don't think it is dust, because after a good sweep and mopping of the garage floor, I hung plastic up in the middle of garage to create a hopefully a sealed off work area.

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas about what caused it? Did I apply to much varnish for each coat?

I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong before I start on the top side of the wood!

I just finished putting on the last coat and its late. I try to post a picture tomorrow.

Thanks

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200082
jugernot is offline   Reply With Quote