The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2004, 12:33 AM   #1
rn2fine

Victor Reinz Intake Gasket Install

I am installing new Edelbrock RPM aluminum heads and an EPS aluminum manifold onto my 350 this weekend. Edelbrock recommended a 1205 intake gasket set. My local NAPA store cross referenced the 1205 to a Victor Reinz intake gasket set. The Victor Reinz is a Nitroseal series gasket. I have heard a lot of good things about the Nitroseal line. They are graphite on both sides with a Teflon coating and a steel core. They do not however hava a raised bead on the intake side of the gasket like the Felpros. I am contemplating what type of sealants to use, if any, when I install the gaskets. Between the head and the gasket I was thinking about using Gasgacinch by Edelbrock or Yamabond ( a well respected aluminum motorcycle parts sealer). Should I use one of these sealants on the intake side of the gasket too? Or should I be using RTV on any of the sides instead? Is there any benefit to gooping up the whole gasket or should I just goop up around the ports? Any used Victor Reinz intake gaskets before? If so, how did you install?

Thanks,

Jeff

rn2fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 02:35 AM   #2
Sweet72

Black permatex only around the water jacket holes and in the corners where the rubber front and rear gaskets meet the manifold to head gaskets. Permatex both sides of the gasket. No problems with the Victor gaskets, they've been around for as long as I can remember, Napa sells this brand.
'72 GMC SWB C1500 Custom, frame-off in progress. 383 SBC, 9:1CR, Comp Cams XE262H, Scat internal balanced crank, Eagle SIR 6" rods, Keith Black dish pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 72/180 heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Stewart stage I water pump, Holley 4bbl vac sec, TH350 with B&M Shift Improver Kit. 12 bolt positraction.
Sweet72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 11:21 AM   #3
Mixup

I couldn't find 1205 Felpro gaskets anywhere. I had to order them from Jegs.

1969 Z28 engine

Turbo 350
Mixup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 01:37 PM   #4
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Sweet72 speaks the gospel. I've bought them at NAPA for years, and I install them the way he said with Permatex around the water ports.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:41 PM   #5
DennyB
Led Sled! Discs R 4 ME!

I also use the black permatex around the water jackets although i take the front and rear gasket and throw them away and apply a 1/4" bead of RTV on the front and rear to the corner if the side intake gaskets. Be sure to get a little under the gasket too.
I've done this to both SBCs and SBFs and never had a leak.
This also allows for more movement due to different expansion and contraction rates of the iron and aluminum without breaking the seal. Make sure all surfaces are clean.
DennyB is offline   Reply With Quote