The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2017, 10:15 PM   #1
dflarsen77

Rebuilding an AC Box, sealant and vent hose questions

I'm rebuilding my stock AC box. Now I'm not actually going to be using the AC part because all the engine bay stuff is gone, will eventually get a modern update kit, but I'm just going for the heat for now. I have 4 questions for now.

1. What is the sealant used to hold the various gaskets in place (like the outer box to the firewall) and for sealing the 2 sides of the outer case that holds the evaporator together (doesn't use a gasket)? Just RTV? Or like weatherstrip adhesive? The stuff that came off was rock hard.

2. The evaporator was basically sealed in place with a ton of goo it seemed like. How have you guys sealed it back in place? I thought about leaving it out but I figure when I upgrade I'll want to sell the whole unit, and the evaporator is in good shape. If I leave it out, it will probably get bonked around my garage and ruined.

3. The vent tube on the blower motor is pretty disintegrated. It was whole, and I removed the part that sits in the box out fine, but trying to pull out the part attached to the actual fan motor and it ripped a little. It seems like it's overall too far gone to try to seal up the tear. So does anyone know where to get one? I don't see any of the parts suppliers for this gen sell them, and it doesn't seem like new ones come with one. I could probably just make a piece of tube fit, but it would be nice to use the right piece.

4. How do you get the doors/flaps out? I only have the outer box out, but the AC/heater diverter flap is pretty rough. I figured it's just a long pin that runs through the plastic flap, so I tried whacking on the bottom of the pin, but I didn't really get anywhere, and I don't want to break anything.

Thanks for the help bros.
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2017, 12:16 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Rebuilding an AC Box, sealant and vent hose questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dflarsen77 View Post
I'm rebuilding my stock AC box. Now I'm not actually going to be using the AC part because all the engine bay stuff is gone, will eventually get a modern update kit, but I'm just going for the heat for now. I have 4 questions for now.

1. What is the sealant used to hold the various gaskets in place (like the outer box to the firewall) and for sealing the 2 sides of the outer case that holds the evaporator together (doesn't use a gasket)? Just RTV? Or like weatherstrip adhesive? The stuff that came off was rock hard.

2. The evaporator was basically sealed in place with a ton of goo it seemed like. How have you guys sealed it back in place? I thought about leaving it out but I figure when I upgrade I'll want to sell the whole unit, and the evaporator is in good shape. If I leave it out, it will probably get bonked around my garage and ruined.

3. The vent tube on the blower motor is pretty disintegrated. It was whole, and I removed the part that sits in the box out fine, but trying to pull out the part attached to the actual fan motor and it ripped a little. It seems like it's overall too far gone to try to seal up the tear. So does anyone know where to get one? I don't see any of the parts suppliers for this gen sell them, and it doesn't seem like new ones come with one. I could probably just make a piece of tube fit, but it would be nice to use the right piece.

4. How do you get the doors/flaps out? I only have the outer box out, but the AC/heater diverter flap is pretty rough. I figured it's just a long pin that runs through the plastic flap, so I tried whacking on the bottom of the pin, but I didn't really get anywhere, and I don't want to break anything.

Thanks for the help bros.

Use "Rope Caulk" to seal the parts together. You can get it at most hardware or building centers....

The vent tube is usually found on the later replacement motors. I don't think any of the original '67-'72 blower motors had them. Not sure if new tubes are available or not. I put a rubber plug in one I had...

The diverter door shaft is probably rusted in the door. Try spraying it with penetrating oil and let it set for a while.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:34 AM   #3
F.A.A.benny

Re: Rebuilding an AC Box, sealant and vent hose questions

That vent tube is actually correct for 67-72. 73 and later used a different vent tube. It won't fit on 67-72. They are not reproduced. You would have to purchase an original one.
F.A.A.benny is offline   Reply With Quote