The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2017, 12:38 PM   #1
jarrodblake

Manual transmission thoughts for HD car hauler.

I am in need of a new transmission for my 70 C30 it was a wedge truck that has been stretched into a dovetail truck with a 17ft bed. I believe the current transmission is the SM465 and it needs completely rebuilt or replaced. I would like to replace the transmission. My first thought was to replace it with a NV4500. However I am worried about the 5th gear issue. I know there are upgrades and supposed fixes. I have no problem not being able to use 5th gear when it's loaded up my main concern is, is it too heavy as is unloaded? I want to be able to use 5th gear unloaded. The way I see it, it is about as heavy as towing an empty HD trailer as it is. Or am I putting too much thought into it? Is there a better alternative for a transmission upgrade? I want to keep it a manual. That said it still has the original 350 engine in it and it this time I don't plan on swapping it out. Though I have had the thought of throwing on a 671 blower on it, but only time will tell what I end up doing with it. So do you all think I will have any problems with the NV4500 unloaded? I plan on doing the fixes to it. if that makes a difference.

The truck.

[IMG]IMAG0862 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMAG0860 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]
jarrodblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #2
In The Ten Ring

Re: Manual transmission thoughts for HD car hauler.

I cannot help you but I wish to commend your decision to keep the manual transmission. I wish more drivers liked stick like I do.

TTT
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:04 PM   #3
HO455
Post Whore

Here is a link that may help you with your decision. Another option is a gear splinter like the Ranger from Advance Adapters. Let us know what you decide on.

https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledg...ssions/manual/
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:09 PM   #4
B. W.

You should do fine with the NV4500, the 5th gear issue is mainly with diesel trucks. There is some good reading on Quad4x4.com covering the problem & various fixes / attempted fixes.

One other option is to keep the 465 & install a Ranger gear splitter. It's basically an overdrive that fits between the trans & the bell housing but it allows you to shift into overdrive in any gear. Advance Adapters makes/sells them.

3rd option, there was an overdrive 5 speed available in the medium duty trucks that will bolt in. I can't remember the name/number, I'm sure someone here does. The problem is they are hard to find.

(HO455 beat me to it!)
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:29 PM   #5
jarrodblake

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
I cannot help you but I wish to commend your decision to keep the manual transmission. I wish more drivers liked stick like I do.

I cannot stand to drive an auto, they really get under my skin when the don't shift when I want/ need them to.

TTT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Here is a link that may help you with your decision. Another option is a gear splinter like the Ranger from Advance Adapters. Let us know what you decide on.

https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledg...ssions/manual/
The ranger gear splitter would be nice to have in a jeep or any 4x4. but for the price I would be better off with the nv4500 in the truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
You should do fine with the NV4500, the 5th gear issue is mainly with diesel trucks. There is some good reading on Quad4x4.com covering the problem & various fixes / attempted fixes.

One other option is to keep the 465 & install a Ranger gear splitter. It's basically an overdrive that fits between the trans & the bell housing but it allows you to shift into overdrive in any gear. Advance Adapters makes/sells them.

3rd option, there was an overdrive 5 speed available in the medium duty trucks that will bolt in. I can't remember the name/number, I'm sure someone here does. The problem is they are hard to find.

(HO455 beat me to it!)
I know it's mainly caused by the vibrations of the diesels but I have read a few threads where the bigger gas trucks have has the same issues. I'm not really looking to buy it for the over drive just a better shifting transmission that is just as strong as the sm465 the OD is just a bonus. but if it was not going to hold up I was not going to buy it. As for the medium duty transmission I assume your thinking of the nv3500? I had one in a jeep rock crawler I built with the 5.9 magnum I loved that transmission and its the main reason I want the nv4500.

That said it looks like I am going to pick one up tomorrow afternoon. It comes with the bell housing, master cylinder, slave, flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch disc. I will definitely be upgrading the clutch. The transmission is a 95 I assume the flywheel will not fit the older 350? I have not decided if I want to convert it to the hydraulic clutch or not.
jarrodblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:00 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Here is how I replaced the SM465 in my '72 C-30 with the Chevy NV4500 on the cheap. I pull my H&H 20' tilt bed trailer with it regularly. I have hauled '99 Camaro's to '39 "A" John Deere tractors and use the OD on all but the steepest hills.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=673588

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:22 AM   #7
B. W.

No, it not the NV3500, that's too new & lighter duty than the 4500. the 5 speed I'm talking about was produced the same time as our trucks (60's & 70's) I believe it was a Clark? Not sure, came in the C-60's.

You will like your 4500 when you get it in! You're right, the 95 flywheel wont fit your engine (1 piece vs 2 piece rear main seal)
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:26 PM   #8
mike16

x2 0n the 4500
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:24 AM   #9
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Manual transmission thoughts for HD car hauler.

I have the 67 ramp truck with 4 speed. I'm planning on a auto when I swap it out. I want a 4l80E are something to that effect. The 4 speed is fine but I just like the auto's.

Nice ramp by the way sir!
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote