The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2004, 03:10 AM   #1
aussichev

Question Who has ceramic coatings and what did you think of them

What have you had done and by who??
I own a business in Australia doing ceramic coatings and i would like to know how you rated it . Did it make a diffrence( It should) or did you wast your money??? Be honest.

ps. I don`t do Jethot or H.P.C.
aussichev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 07:26 AM   #2
TwinTurbo

What kind of coatings do you mean? I have custom coated JE pistons, they were done by swaintech. I have these because of the turbochargers, they allow the piston to run cooler and the heat not lost will help spool the turbo up.

A buddy of mine has experimented with home coating pistons, exhaust port and exhaust valves with coatings from tech line coatings. You glass bead the piston crown and valve face and then spray on the emulsion, let the dillutant dry and then bake the green compact in an oven (preferrable a temperature gradient controlled in a sinter oven). It worked pretty good, as in the coating has not come off yet (checked) but I'm not sure how long it will hold up.

If you mean ceramic coating of exhuast parts, I have done this too. I had mine coated with the cermet procedure, it's kind of like the emaille used on old bathtubs with a ferrodur (iron complex) coating under it. It's very tough and when scratched the pipes don't rust apart from the scratch. The only drawback is that it is kind of porous, the finish isn't super nice like the popular ceramics of hi temp podercoat.
TwinTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 10:07 PM   #3
aussichev

ceramic coating

I`m hooked up with Techline and basicaly we do all there coatings. Pistons , exhausts, translucents, dryfilm lubricants, thermal dispersants eta. So i was kind of fishing to see if people were happy with the stuff and to see if there were any problems that could be avoided, so i could pass on advise to my customers. The race teams love it and i know that FORD are doing a lot of experiments with it and are prity happy with the results.By the way we would blast the surface of the piston with aluminium oxide so that there was a good etch surface to coat not bead blast it.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:21 PM   #4
aussichev

Exclamation Ceramic Coating

It would seem by the lack of reply that not many of you have had/got ceramics. I know that a lot of the precoated exhausts don`t stand up verywell to daily use so maybe that has put alot of people off??? Some of the stuff is realy mindblowing.