The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2018, 09:28 PM   #1
tsmith8

Lower and adding PS question

I have a '58 Apache with a SBC 327, mostly stock front end with the exception of a disc brake conversion kit.

I am pulling out the 327 this winter to add in a 383. While i am doing this i wouldn't mind lower the front end and adding power steering. I remember reading awhile ago about some things to watch for when it came to lowering and adding power steering on a straight axel but couldn't remember what it was.

Anyone have any input? lowering leafs VS drop axel?

Rack and pinion or power steering box?

steering shaft need to be replaced?

Thank you.
tsmith8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:05 PM   #2
DPete

Re: Lower and adding PS question

I had power steering & front discs installed by the PO on the stock front axle, it did not drive well enough so I am in the process of changing to independent front suspension & and power rack and pinion. IMO you would be better off applying the $ to IFS, the I beam front axle is still 50's technology if you add power steering. This has been my experience
Old 01-04-2018, 10:17 PM   #3
nail pounder

I have a 3" drop axle from Sid's, he told me to use a 400box¿ when I get to installing PS. It's not at the top of my priority list yet though.
nail pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:27 PM   #4
tsmith8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPete View Post
I had power steering & front discs installed by the PO on the stock front axle, it did not drive well enough so I am in the process of changing to independent front suspension & and power rack and pinion. IMO you would be better off applying the $ to IFS, the I beam front axle is still 50's technology if you add power steering. This has been my experience
What IFS system are you installing?
Old 01-05-2018, 12:11 AM   #5
Jesse Z
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPete View Post
I've had 3 straight axle trucks that handled absolutely terrific. They are sensitive to worn components so if one handles poorly it's usually the result of an undiagnosed problem - king pins, tie rod ends, steering box, etc. I-beams aren't just '50's technology: every semi on the highway runs them at 100,000 miles per year. And believe me, when you take the load off those big rigs they handle like race cars.

Last edited by Jesse Z; 01-05-2018 at 12:17 AM.
Jesse Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:11 AM   #6
DPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmith8 View Post
What IFS system are you installing?
Heidts superide 2
Old 01-05-2018, 05:17 PM   #7
tsmith8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Z View Post
I've had 3 straight axle trucks that handled absolutely terrific. They are sensitive to worn components so if one handles poorly it's usually the result of an undiagnosed problem - king pins, tie rod ends, steering box, etc. I-beams aren't just '50's technology: every semi on the highway runs them at 100,000 miles per year. And believe me, when you take the load off those big rigs they handle like race cars.

Do you have any experience with lowering springs and adding power steering on a straight axle?