The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-26-2018, 06:53 AM   #1
jimmythompson1964

Re: 1966 C-10 build

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdad View Post
Jimmy I have lost allot of sleep in the last couple weeks just reading all of these threads and loving all of the great information and photos. I agree a work in progress is definitely what we have here. the real kicker in this whole deal is the truck is actually for my wife/ Queen. She has wanted an old truck for quite some time and this was just meant to be. You see this is the same truck I owned and drove to and from school back in the day. She is very excited and has fallen in love with the truck up to this point. I am sure we will go through the usual ups and down as we have done through so many car projects in the past but this one is her baby. Im just the lucky guy that gets to build her a new truck.
That's cool that your wife enjoys your hobby with you...My wife does not get into the old truck/hot rod thing and is not interested in riding with me unless I install A/C or the weather is cool. I always have to do the cruises and car shows alone. Give your wife a fist bump from me
jimmythompson1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:18 AM   #2
kdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythompson1964 View Post
That's cool that your wife enjoys your hobby with you...My wife does not get into the old truck/hot rod thing and is not interested in riding with me unless I install A/C or the weather is cool. I always have to do the cruises and car shows alone. Give your wife a fist bump from me
Yes sir I will do that. I feel pretty fortunate that she is a Car girl through and through.

She may not be the prom queen but at least she puts out..
kdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:43 AM   #3
kdad

Well I have been busy with other projects and doing tons of research for the build. I took apart almost everything that the PO touched and have repaired most of it to get back to square one. some were just minor and others are waiting for more parts to come in. In the mean time I have decided that this build will be mostly Ol' Skool with a few new items thrown in here and there. I really want to keep this project on budget which means we are going to keep it basic. First is to keep the 6 lugs and also keep the drum brakes (For this first go round) in my examination of the PO's work I discovered a bad front wheel hub. you can literally drop a race in it with almost no resistance. So I am now looking for a replacement. (not as easy as it sounds) Loading more pics asap.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:23 AM   #4
kdad

Truck has the usual 52 years of dirt grease and grime everywhere and you just cant get anything done without getting through the first layers.
Whipped out the trusty pressure washer for the 3rd time to go in deep with the cleaning.
Decided to clean up the engine bay before doing any more work to see what mess we have to deal with.

Last edited by kdad; 01-19-2019 at 03:06 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:32 AM   #5
kdad

That's how you make a Vacuum plug right there. Shade tree mechanic used part of the tree.. LOL.

He used a few bolts as well..

As usual instead of unplugging the wires it must have been easier to just cut and destroy

After what seemed like 3 straight days of cleaning I was able to find the bottom of the mess... SMH... Now to start on putting some of this thing back together and get it running.

Last edited by kdad; 01-19-2019 at 03:09 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:47 AM   #6
kdad

Instead of pulling the engine this go round the idea is to just get it running and drivable as is. Of course as long as its apart and we are clearing out the old non essentials like the old manifolds and swapping in a few other goodies I opted to go ahead and paint the engine with Easton's chevy Orange enamel. Was actually pretty easy to do with a brush. Replaced the timing chain cover made some throttle linkage, New correct radiator hoses, heater hoses, billet alternator mount, Braided stainless fuel lines/ filter, fuel pump and battery cables for ****s and giggles. Discovered a few funny items. The transmission fluid lines did not fit so the PO decided to just shove em in as far as he could and leave em. New lines being made. Not really into the hard lines so I opted for my local Trans shop to build me some new flexible lines with the correct threads and fittings. Its getting there little by little.

Ordered a set of headers and a few other parts to get it back together. Notice the old cross member is now removed.

Last edited by kdad; 01-20-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:04 AM   #7
kdad

Got the extra 100 pounds of dirt out of the cross member and the front suspension cleaned up. Working on making sure she will stop..

Got some new wheel cylinders and hoses for these. we shall see!