The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2004, 10:43 PM   #1
bigblock73
yeller

Not my month so far...

On top of the problems I have been having with Yeller, my Blazer has decided it want to join the fun too and be a beoch!

Lately the Blazer has been cutting in and out occasionaly on the highway or heavy acceleration. I replaced the external fuel filter and this did not help (going the cheap and easy route for starters). Then I hear that Q-jets are supposed to have an internal filter and not an external filter. So I go to the local parts house and purchase one of them thinking the one in the carb must be clogged. I pulled off the external filter and replaced the section between the pump and carb with a new line. I then pulled off the "cap" or inlet which would gain me access to the filter...only to discover there is no filter in there at all. So based on that, I figured I had not found my initial problem. While I had it apart, I installed the new filter, took it for a drive, and it ran decent...and never acted up.

The next day I take it to work (20 miles each way, in rush hour). It ran fine there, but on the way home I could tell it was idling a tad bit more rough than on the way in. It was pretty hot out, so I figured it was the weather or something playing a role in this.

Now this last Thursday, Shelly and I decide to order a pizza, pick it up, and bring it home. Since it was nice out, we decide to take the Woody. We drove to get the pizza (5-6 miles), pick it up, and head back home. We get about a mile from home and the Blazer sputters out and dies. I pulled over, tried to re-fire it, but nothing happened. I get out and pop the hood, only to hear a sizzling sound. Upon further inspection, I see a puddle of gasoline on the intake manifold boiling like a pot of water. It looks lie it was coming from the accelerator pump area, but i can't be positive since there was gas on on both sides of the intake manifold. I ended up having to run, yes run, home 1 mile, get her Jeep, come back and pick up Shelly and the now cold pizza and warm pop. I then returned wth my neighbor and a tow strap and towed the woody home.

What can I look for to try and determine what happened? I have never actually worked on a Q-jet (I have only had Holley's), so this is quite foreign to me. I already pulled the carb, and am ready to bring it to a local fellow who rebuilds carbs...but since I am trying to sell the Blazer, I don't want to dump a bunch of cash into it if I am not going to get it back.

Once again, seeking any help on this. Thanks in advance.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 11:15 PM   #2
Russell
Professional Grade

Hmm, I would guess that something is clogged up inside... Take the carb out, buy a rebuild kit and a gallon of carb dip, leave the carb in there for a day or two, then rebuild it making sure to clean out all of the little passageways with compressed air or something. From what I hear, Q-jets arn't all that tough to rebuild, just gotta make sure that you take lots of pictures, and lay stuff out in the order that you took it apart.

BTW -- You are very lucky the woody didn't burst into flames... Be thankful it decided to die rather than go boom...

Last edited by Russell; 05-11-2004 at 11:19 PM.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 11:23 PM   #3
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

There are several things that could cause this. It's flooding as you know. Not having a filter in the fuel inlet is no biggy as long as it has an inline filter. I'm guessing maybe you broke some grit or dirt loose in the process of changing filters. It's also possible it was in need of a rebuild anyway. If there is not anything mechanically wrong with it, a real good cleaning in some bonefied carb dip and a rebuild kit should fix it right up. Make sure he puts some JB Weld on the well plugs so they don't leak later on, if they haven't already. You may want to go ahead and buy a new float since the kits don't come with one. Biggest thing here, make absolutely sure it's clean. Gas or spray on carb cleaner won't get it. Carb dip is the only way to go. Never ever put any part of your skin in contact with this stuff. Don't put any of the rubber parts you need to reuse in this stuff either. Only metal parts and not too long with them.

Now after saying the above, this is what I would do if it were me. I guess it depends on how long it's been since it has had a rebuild and who did the last one. Which reminds me, I need to rebuild the Q-jet on the 79. I might just do that this week.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 12:07 AM   #4
eamims

Can't help with the second problem, but I had a similar 'engine cutting in/out at acceleration' with my '77 C-10. It ended up being the ignition module under the dist. cap. It took us forever to figure out. It's something to keep in mind if it keeps surging and you know you have clean fuel lines, clean filter, good plugs, good carb, good fuel pump, etc.
eamims is offline   Reply With Quote