The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2004, 07:43 AM   #1
GMCPaul

Unhappy Bad news on steel & chrome parts.

We have received notification from all but one supplier of price increases on chrome & steel parts, as a example Goodmark told us by beginning of June they will be sending us a new price catalog and in it every part will see at least a $1.00 increase in price on small parts and parts such as cowl hoods will increase another $50.00 per hood. We are hearing this from every major supplier of steel and chrome parts except for one. The reason for the price increase they state is steel prices have climbed 35-90%, the price of the materials to chrome parts has increased nearly 10 times and shipping rates are on the increase to get the parts to us do to increased fuel costs. So I wanted to let you all know around the beginning of June truck parts will be increasing in cost on most all steel or chrome related parts. So if you plan on ordering from a truck parts retailer any time in the near future don't hesitate to long or your budget might be wrecked with price increases.
Sorry for the bad news but I figured you would all like to know in advance of it happening to hopefully save some money by buying before we all get hit with these price increases.
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 09:15 AM   #2
BOSS
Just here to help

Thanx Paul for the heads up.Maybe this will help us that like to wait till the last minute to start getting what we need to get our trucks going.

Norwood Survivor
BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 10:22 AM   #3
1972ChevyGuy

Thanks for the heads up here also, ordered some parts from you and they got here in 2 days. Thanks for the great service
1972ChevyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 07:22 PM   #4
Jwill41

I think all the steel is going to China. I work for a major paint booth manufacturer and we have had to add a "steel surcharge" to all shipments. This has really shot the prices up.

Thanks for the heads up Paul. I will start checking to see what I need on my truck.

67 1/2 ton GMC short step side
68 1/2 ton Chevy long fleet side
72 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban
99 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban

founder (and only member) of the primer/clearcoat club
Jwill41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 10:22 PM   #5
DennyB
Led Sled! Discs R 4 ME!

Thanks for the heads up Paul.
DennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 01:31 AM   #6
69 Short Fleet

Thanks for posting the info, this gas price increase is getting me to the boiling point!!! Their SHAFTING us here in Canada also!
69 Short Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 05:53 AM   #7
GMCPaul

I just wish it had been good news that I had that your thanking me for. There are several 3rd world countries that are becoming more industrialized and expanding there purchasing causing this rise in prices and shortage of materials in steel & aluminum both, and of course since our federal goverment accelerated the purchasing of crude oil for the US reserves just before the summer price increase felt every year has definitely not helped fuel costs.
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 10:26 AM   #8
SideStepper

The BOTTOM LINE is that the "average guy" is finding it very difficult the own, restore or even simply drive any collectable vehicle.
These old trucks of ours, are really the LAST of the collectable vehicles that use to be affordable!
I am afraid those days are numbered, and soon to be gone forever.
SideStepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 10:57 AM   #9
RShaips

I sell steel,and the market has been crazy and looks like it will continue for at least the rest of the year. China has been consuming steel at a very high rate and this has led to higher prices everywhere in the world. They also produce steel and have been buying scrap from the US, scrap prices were extremely high, although they have started to fall somewhat recently. I do not see prices returning to mid 2003 prices any time soon, if ever. To give you an idea of how much they have increased, last year prime steel in a hot roll coil could be bought for 14-15 cents per pound, that same order today would cost anywhere from 33-40 cents per pound. Add increased fuel costs to the mix, prices are going to be high for a while.
RShaips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 10:58 AM   #10
Burnsman
Chevy Freak

Prices

The sad part is that some of the suppliers are taking advantage of the increases. I buy alot of steel. I was buying it at $.23/# a year ago in bulk. It has doubled in the last year. $50 increase for a hood? What's a hood weigh? Let's say 50#. The price of the hood went up $12.50. Even with fuel and some of the other increases, it is still above and beyond what the increase should be. There are so many politics involved. I will keep my mouth shut though because I may rant and rave and get myself in trouble. As a business owner, it is hard to stay afloat when all of the products are being made overseas.
73 Camaro, 496
67 RS Camaro, 406
64 Chevelle, 588
71 Nova, 565
67 Camaro, 461
Burnsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 06:46 PM   #11
cableguy0

its bad when scrap steel is bringing 100 bucks a ton like it is around here.its crazy
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote