The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2020, 10:44 AM   #1
RPBurris

Which way do I go?

Looking for some opinions on what would be the best way to go for my truck. It is a 69 C20 on what I believe to be a 78 K20 chassis. I have found a period correct C20 chassis local to me that is relatively cheap. So my question is should I return it to a C20 and be able to at least make it a little more original (ish) than what it currently is? I know it's my truck and I can do what ever I want. I really don't need another 4x4 and when I do sell it I would like to be honest and get the best price I can. I have been in a love/hate relationship with this truck for 14 years now and been working on it for most of that time. It will not ever be "original" and I don't really care about that. Looking forward to your thoughts. Happy Memorial Day Weekend!
Old 05-23-2020, 11:02 AM   #2
truckster

Re: Which way do I go?

My impression is that you don't really want the truck and you'd just be setting yourself up for a whole lot more work that might push you toward the hate side of the love/hate relationship.

But if I'm wrong and you really want a 2WD C20, then it might be worthwhile.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:04 AM   #3
68Gold/white

The greatest thing about the 78 chassis, is that is has DISC brakes!!!

I personally have no use for a 4WD vehicle. No bias, just don't need the 4WD part.
If the chassis you found IS disc brake (which of course could only be a 71 or 72...), the swap idea would be the best. If it's front drum, I'd wouldn't likely consider the swap.

I work as a mechanic. At the current moment I am working on a side job. Repairing a 96 GMC 2500 4WD. It looks like I'm going to replace every front end part, except the CV axles. It's got 200,000 miles on it, it's wore out. My budddies son likes it, it has sentimental value to him, AND he has the $$$ to fix it. It's about to wear my ass out...THe parts is looking to hit $2000.00 and that's the cost of parts at a fairly good deal price. I don't mark up parts for working on friends stuff. Saying all this, another reason I don't have a 4WD pickup...

Just my thoughts...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:38 PM   #4
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPBurris View Post
Looking for some opinions on what would be the best way to go for my truck. It is a 69 C20 on what I believe to be a 78 K20 chassis. I have found a period correct C20 chassis local to me that is relatively cheap. So my question is should I return it to a C20 and be able to at least make it a little more original (ish) than what it currently is? I know it's my truck and I can do what ever I want. I really don't need another 4x4 and when I do sell it I would like to be honest and get the best price I can. I have been in a love/hate relationship with this truck for 14 years now and been working on it for most of that time. It will not ever be "original" and I don't really care about that. Looking forward to your thoughts. Happy Memorial Day Weekend!
I’d Keep it 4x4. I am biased as I personally see little use for 2wd trucks.(not knocking those who are into 2wd stuff it’s just not what I’m in to) I’ve got a Camaro for the go fast itch.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0

Last edited by 57taskforce; 05-23-2020 at 01:44 PM.
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:10 AM   #5
Overdriven

There are 2 camps, the camp that wants original and the camp that doesn’t care. The camp that wants original also wants either unmolested or fully restored and will extra pay for it. If you put the 2wd chassis under it and are honest with this person the history will turn them off to the truck unless it is restored or built to a condition they like.

This leaves you with the camp that doesn’t care about originality and is just looking for the best condition truck in their price range. To maximize what you get out of the truck you need to look at your market and whether 2wd or 4x4 is more desirable. Where I am 2wd is more in demand, 4x4 isn’t any less valuable it just typically takes longer to find a buyer. In the end, if you’re selling the truck swapping the chassis to 2wd isn’t going to get you any more $ out of it, your time would be better spent improving the truck overall with its current chassis.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:54 PM   #6
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post
I work as a mechanic. At the current moment I am working on a side job. Repairing a 96 GMC 2500 4WD. It looks like I'm going to replace every front end part, except the CV axles. It's got 200,000 miles on it, it's wore out. My budddies son likes it, it has sentimental value to him, AND he has the $$$ to fix it. It's about to wear my ass out...THe parts is looking to hit $2000.00 and that's the cost of parts at a fairly good deal price. I don't mark up parts for working on friends stuff. Saying all this, another reason I don't have a 4WD pickup...

Just my thoughts...
96 vs 78 or 72 front end for a 4WD is apples to oranges, both in complexity and cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57taskforce View Post
I’d Keep it 4x4. I am biased as I personally see little use for 2wd trucks.(not knocking those who are into 2wd stuff it’s just not what I’m in to) I’ve got a Camaro for the go fast itch.
I've also got a Camaro for the go fast itch - 95 Z28 convertible. My other vehicles are all either 4WD or AWD - the ones I drive are 4WD and my wife's car and the ones I let the kids use are AWD. I live in snow country and in the mountains, and even if you never go offroad, it's nice to have the traction. Depending on where you want to go, it's a legal requirement during winter months to have 4WD or chains.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:26 PM   #7
franken

As far as I know, the frame widths are the same, but the rear spring perches are more to the outside, and brackets on the square body frames make up the difference. I think the shocks were staggered on one of the body styles as well.

I kike 4-wheel drive so my opinion on the conversion is obvious.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:53 PM   #8
gmc684x4

Check your vin tag Does your vin start off with a C or a K
A K Vin is a 4x4 vin number ?

as for the Frame look underneath are the frame cab mount supports riveted on factory or bolted or welded to the frame as the 78 has different cab mount supports

I have seen many C10 C20 badges on these old girls when they should have been K10 and K20 sported on the front fenders

as for making it two wheel drive I don't see why make it a 3/4 I can see making a 1/2 sport truck out of her
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:29 PM   #9
RPBurris

As expected I got some answers. I did go look at a C20 frame that was super cheap just a few miles from me. It did have disc brakes so it would have been 71/72 as 68Gold/White pointed out. I did buy his bench seat which was basically just a frame for $30 bucks so that worked out.
After feedback on this forum and my own thoughts I am going to stick with the chassis that is already there. As pointed out it would just lead to too many steps backwards. My current setup has disc brakes on all four corners and it would just be 'less' of a truck in my opinion go the other route. I got about 99% of the floor patched today (ran out of mig gas) and things are looking good. This might actually be the summer it sees the road? Late summer...or early fall...
Not a huge poster on the forum but this site has always been an incredible wealth of knowledge. Thanks to all for your thoughts. Now I gotta get some more gas for the welder!