The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-16-2020, 10:16 AM   #23
GeronimoApache

Re: 59 billet hood hinges

Slight update with my Eddie Motorsports hinges. I have been busy with other stuff. But I did a little searching online for a solution. Here is what I found.

55.5-57 cabs use a 3/8" bolt to attach the hinge to the firewall. The vertical spacing is also closer together than 58-59 (I already knew that 2nd part)

58-59 cabs use a 5/16" bolt to attach the hinge to the firewall. The vertical spacing is farther apart than the 55.5-57 cabs. You can re-use the top hole. But the threaded insert will not be for the correct size bolt.

I have a 56 cab that I already drilled the new lower hinge hole, because I tried LMC hinges and I feel that they really suck. That's why I went with the EMS hinges. I ordered EMS hinges for a 58-59 because I wanted to ensure they were correct for that hood. That is why the 58-59 EMS hinge is not slotted for a 3/8 bolt because a 58-59 would have used a 5/16 bolt.

So long story short, I am going to use 5/16 bolts. I may end up buying longer ones for the hinge to attach to the firewall. I also will probably cut off the square nuts off the firewall and weld on some new ones that are threaded for 5/16.

Now I just need to get some motivation. I'm a head custodian for a Jr. High near Chicago. School starts in 4 weeks and my mind is racing on lots of things lately.
GeronimoApache is offline   Reply With Quote