The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2020, 01:57 PM   #10
Wizit247

Re: Wizit's bagged 60 GMC build V2.0

I have been planning and researching the brake setup for this build for a long time now. Maintaining 6 lug has made it interesting to source parts.

For instance, there are a couple people making 5 lug hubs that fit the 73-87 spindles but nobody makes them in 6 lug because there is really no demand for it.

My solution was to get cpp 6 lug conversion rotors and cut the rotor off the hub portion.
I did some measuring and found the thickness of the casting for the hub section to be 0.75" so I scribed a line all the way around and the cutoff wheel made fairly quick work of the cast.

I still need to spin them on the lathe to true up the cut but I essentially now have 6 lug hubs that will allow me to use slip on rotors.

In hindsight the better solution here would have been to design around a more common spindle that had 6 lug options available. I think something that uses a standard gm 6 lug unit bearing would have been ideal.
For now Im going to continue with my current approach but I may revisit this in the future.

The rotors Im planning to run are pretty interesting and should be in this week.