The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2021, 05:27 AM   #1
ChevyRacefan

The question no one ever asked.

ok: bare with me.
I love and hate tinted side and rear glass. it is a royal pain at night.
Now, having said that, my childhood eye glasses tinted dark when out in the sun, but was clear glass (plastic) when no sunlight .
Why has this not become used an automotive glass either oem or aftermarket.
It seem ( my opinion) to be the best of both worlds, clear glass at night, but tinted when the sun is blindingly bright.
Why isn't this a thing with replacement glass?
ChevyRacefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 06:22 AM   #2
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: The question no one ever asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRacefan View Post
ok: bare with me.
I love and hate tinted side and rear glass. it is a royal pain at night.
Now, having said that, my childhood eye glasses tinted dark when out in the sun, but was clear glass (plastic) when no sunlight .
Why has this not become used an automotive glass either oem or aftermarket.
It seem ( my opinion) to be the best of both worlds, clear glass at night, but tinted when the sun is blindingly bright.
Why isn't this a thing with replacement glass?
Expense mainly. Timing, too.
The photochromatic lenses [photo-sun, photo sensative] you describe can be made in small units like eyeglasses, but it might be expensive to do it to a full front glass windshield, or all the windows in a vehicle.

If it's not that expensive, it may be illegal in some states. You cannot control the sunlight. If the Sun ducks behind a cloud, your windshield may still be darker, as it's not instantly reactive, but takes several minutes to change. Drive from a bright Arizona day into a tunnel and you'd be blind. By the time your windshield reacts to the dark by lightening up, Bam! you're in full sun again.
I've had a few pairs of glasses, both prescription and sunglasses, with the PhotoSun treatment, so I know how they work.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:01 AM   #3
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

There is an electronic tint available that is mainly used on sky scrapers and office buildings. I thought about trying some on a truck but never did. I figured it would be pretty pricey. haha
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:01 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

It's a good idea if it could be done.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:15 AM   #5
Grumpy old man

Transitions glasses became available in the early 90's I had a friend that worked there Pinellas park Fl . They were and still are expensive . Mrs Grumpy has a pair and they are pretty cool but it takes a bit of time for them to " transition " from light to dark. She even gave me one of their company T- shirts that were white inside but when exposed to the sun their logo would appear on the shirt .

Most auto insurance companies won't insure a car/ truck with any type of aftermarket tint on the windshield .

People also ask
How quickly do Transitions lenses change?
Photochromic lenses, when exposed to sunlight/UV rays, will on average take approx 30 seconds to a minute to darken and will continue to darken for a further 10 minutes to full sunglasses tint/shade, returning to an almost clear state within 2 minutes and fully cleared within 5 minutes .

https://www.transitions.com/en-us/our-company/history/

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:45 AM   #6
ChevyRacefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Transitions glasses became available in the early 90's I had a friend that worked there Pinellas park Fl . They were and still are expensive . Mrs Grumpy has a pair and they are pretty cool but it takes a bit of time for them to " transition " from light to dark. She even gave me one of their company T- shirts that were white inside but when exposed to the sun their logo would appear on the shirt .

Most auto insurance companies won't insure a car/ truck with any type of aftermarket tint on the windshield .

People also ask
How quickly do Transitions lenses change?
Photochromic lenses, when exposed to sunlight/UV rays, will on average take approx 30 seconds to a minute to darken and will continue to darken for a further 10 minutes to full sunglasses tint/shade, returning to an almost clear state within 2 minutes and fully cleared within 5 minutes .

https://www.transitions.com/en-us/our-company/history/
My Brother and I had self darkning glasses in the 70's early 80's.
Our family was not rich. So this wasn't something that was crazy $$$
Old 01-09-2021, 06:27 PM   #7
LS short box

Per my brother who has the transiition lenses and when it's cold out they take longer to go from light to dark.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:03 PM   #8
weq92f

Hmmm... I remember being one of the first in my area to get windows tinted on my '68 stepper back in the 80s. Drove over 100 miles to another city to get it done and was such a happy guy!

But yes...difficult to see through at night! I backed into my fair share of fence posts, trees and ditches back in the day off near the dirt roads.

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:41 PM   #9
'68OrangeSunshine

When I was in the Marines at MCAS Yuma, AZ, I had a pair of regulation pilot-type sunglasses with prescription PhotoSun lenses. I was OK wearing them in the hangar, working on the jets. They were in clear mode. Then we were all called to attention out on the flight line for some unexpected Dog-and-Pony show unit formation. I was at the Position of Attention, now out in the sunshine. My glasses darkened up.
The SgtMaj got on my case for wearing sunglasses in formation. I got chewed out. No Excuses. ''Photochromic lenses'' could not count. I was lucky not to get written up.

F-16 canopies have some electronically enhanced tint configuration, but with Your Tax Dollars, the Gov't will spare no expense. Out of budget for most Classic Chevy Truckers.

Old 01-09-2021, 08:46 PM   #10
jocko

Maybe it's not a thing because it's "almost" as easy to lower the sun visor or just put on sunglasses. I get it, tint is "cool" but I've lived in the CA desert and TX most of my life and never really felt the need to tint my windows. Don't get me wrong, that's just me - lots of people in SoCal tinted their windows, but then again they also wore sunglasses to be twice as cool
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 09:47 PM   #11
HO455
Post Whore

Ask and you shall receive.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...-QYFbz8tWdSKEW

If I remember correctly Ford had a windshield that turned a gold color in the sun as a option around 2000.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:12 PM   #12
3757chevy

I wear transitions and when I set them down to wipe the sweat from my brow Or let's say i just take them for little bit. If they are partly shaded a post or by say mini blinds , they end up with stripes of tint/no tint . MAN is that hard to see through.
MIKE
3757chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:16 PM   #13
3757chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3757chevy View Post
I wear transitions and when I set them down to wipe the sweat from my brow Or let's say i just take them for little bit. If they are partly shaded a post or by say mini blinds , they end up with stripes of tint/no tint . MAN is that hard to see through.
Now just imagine : park on a partly shady street .or : under a bunch of power lines?
MIKE
3757chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 01:36 AM   #14
dmjlambert

Check it out
https://www.amazon.com/HOHO-Electron...dp/B07428XTF7/
I would like this on the back window, for when the sun is beaming in and making me hot.

Edit: or at night when somebody is following me with their high beams on.

Last edited by dmjlambert; 01-10-2021 at 01:42 AM. Reason: add more
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 06:55 AM   #15
ChevyRacefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Maybe it's not a thing because it's "almost" as easy to lower the sun visor or just put on sunglasses. I get it, tint is "cool" but I've lived in the CA desert and TX most of my life and never really felt the need to tint my windows. Don't get me wrong, that's just me - lots of people in SoCal tinted their windows, but then again they also wore sunglasses to be twice as cool
My thinking isn't about looking cool, it is about being cool, and laso not having faded interior from the sun bleaching it.
I think the reason todays vehicles interiors come in black, black, black or if you are lucky a charcoal or gray, or tan only, is because of the fading problems of the other colors.
Old 01-10-2021, 05:11 PM   #16
'68OrangeSunshine

And what happens with your auto-tint when the battery fails?

Old 01-10-2021, 07:11 PM   #17
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: The question no one ever asked.

Well somebody thinks it's worth the effort!
www.continental-automotive.com

With Continental´s Intelligent Glass Control you can tint your car windows with the touch of a button. Special films, inserted into the glass of the car, change their transparency through electric control signals. The degree of shading for individual windows can be determined, to “dim” your windows. This means increased comfort and safety for passengers and reduces the energy consumption of your climate control system.
The price is more than likely more than my truck is worth but it would be nice to have.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:15 AM   #18
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post

If I remember correctly Ford had a windshield that turned a gold color in the sun as a option around 2000.
That was for defrost (an embedded layer, rather than a defroster grid like on a rear window). The gold tint was a result of the layer, rather than any kind of intentional windshield tint.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:21 AM   #19
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: The question no one ever asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
That was for defrost (an embedded layer, rather than a defroster grid like on a rear window). The gold tint was a result of the layer, rather than any kind of intentional windshield tint.

K
My 82 Collector's Corvette had gold tint t tops! I had to have them replaced once and they where like $2000.00 for them. Insurance paid for them though thank goodness.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote