The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2004, 05:09 PM   #1
76sierraclassic

Radiator Question...

I'm having trouble with a leaky radiator, and wondering what everyone's thoughts are on whether or not I should have the original radiator rotted out and fixed or just buy a new one from a local auto parts place (O'Reilly, Advance, AutoZone, etc.).

Dad and I were able to solder one leak in it this weekend around the inlet coming from the heater core, but it seems to still be leaking pretty badly somewhere else. As far as I know, it's the original radiator, and the truck has almost 140K miles on it.

Also, if I do replace it, is there anything I need to watch out for?

All opinions are appreciated...

Thanks in advance,
Mike
76sierraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 12:02 AM   #2
Pushrod

I would say your best bet is to go with a New Radiator, sooner or later if you keep the one you have it will leave you on the side of the road from being over heated. There is a place in Nashville Tennessee called Wholesale Radiator, any kind you want they got it, got one for my 86 for $115.00.

86 Chevy 1/2 ton Silverado
79 Chevy 1/2 Ton Scottsdale
90 Chevy 4x4 1/2 Ton
(2000 Ranger Extended Cab)
Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 12:16 AM   #3
76sierraclassic

Thanks for the info. That's kind of what I was thinking too. I certainly don't want to be stuck on the side of the road if I can prevent it.

I can get a new one from O'Reilly's for $110, and both Advance and Autozone for $100. I just wasn't sure about the quality. If anyone out there has any experience with any of these radiators (good, bad, or indifferent) I would certainly appreciate the input.

Mike
Old 07-13-2004, 08:08 AM   #4
beaterC10

I have had an Autozone radiator in my truck for the last 3-4 years with no problems. Mine originally had the small radiator in it, I upgraded to the one that fits the HD cooling option becuase it was about $75-100 cheaper than the small one.

Dave
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 09:43 AM   #5
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaterC10
I have had an Autozone radiator in my truck for the last 3-4 years with no problems. Mine originally had the small radiator in it, I upgraded to the one that fits the HD cooling option becuase it was about $75-100 cheaper than the small one.

Dave
I had the same experience. The 3 row was cheaper than the 2 row, and both fit the same. My truck has a 305, but the computer listed only a 2 row. To get the 3 row they looked it us as having a 350.

I don't really like Auto Zone, and everyone had the same brand of radiator for the same price, and all had a lifetime warranty. I mentioned it to a friend, and he said to get it from Auto Zone anyway because they have more stores around here than anybody else. That means that if it ever breaks, Auto Zone will be the easiest store to find to get a free replacement. I thought that was a good idea.

I have had it almost 3 years with no problems.

Slonaker
Old 07-13-2004, 10:41 AM   #6
76sierraclassic

Thanks for the replies. That makes me feel better about going to Autozone (or more probably O'Reilly).

Mike
Old 07-13-2004, 11:06 AM   #7
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I have had one O'reilly's and one AutoZone radiator. Both have lifetime warranty, and both seem to work well. I like Slonaker's advice, even though AZ raises my blood pressure every time I go in there. The one around the corner from my house has a maximum IQ of about 6.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:14 AM   #8
76sierraclassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy
AZ raises my blood pressure every time I go in there. The one around the corner from my house has a maximum IQ of about 6.
You're AutoZone is doing good if they're hitting 6. I'd bet the folks in the AZ's around me are down about 4. That's one of the reasons I prefer to do business with O'Reilly. In my area, O'Reilly has as many, if not more, locations as AutoZone anyway. Since the brand is the same on the radiators, I'll just have O'Reilly price match with AZ and save the 10 bucks.

Mike