The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2021, 06:47 AM   #1
wyattglock

It's been a while...

I've been largely absent for several years. Had to sell my old crew cab dually when we sold our house and moved to the country. It took a few years, but Saturday I picked up a 1986 K10. It's in decent shape. Has some issues, but nothing I didnt expect. Came with a spare small block that had been torn down already. Engine in the truck has a lifter that's collapsed, or a loose rocker. The engine that's tore apart is a roller motor. So I will go ahead and get the roller rebuilt at my local engine shop. Then swap them and decide what to do to fix the current engine. Which may well end up in my 1993 S10.
Attached Images

wyattglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:16 AM   #2
4u2nv

Re: It's been a while...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattglock View Post
I've been largely absent for several years. Had to sell my old crew cab dually when we sold our house and moved to the country. It took a few years, but Saturday I picked up a 1986 K10. It's in decent shape. Has some issues, but nothing I didnt expect. Came with a spare small block that had been torn down already. Engine in the truck has a lifter that's collapsed, or a loose rocker. The engine that's tore apart is a roller motor. So I will go ahead and get the roller rebuilt at my local engine shop. Then swap them and decide what to do to fix the current engine. Which may well end up in my 1993 S10.
Great that you got back into it and found your truck , should make a nice ride by what I see of it.
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:21 AM   #3
wyattglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4u2nv View Post
Great that you got back into it and found your truck , should make a nice ride by what I see of it.
Thanks! It has some rust above the rear wheel wells, light rust on the corners of the doors, and the normal rocker rot. But it really is a solid truck. I drove 6 hours south to Nashville, TN to pick it up. At least the weather was good coming back!
Old 03-29-2021, 07:41 AM   #4
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Nice looking truck. Glad you got back into the stuff again.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:49 AM   #5
Richard2112

Yes it is good to see you're keeping the hobby alive. And it's always good to see members here who have been on board for a while. We get a lot of new members but it's the ones who've been around a while that keep things going. Keep us posted on your progress.
Richard2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:46 AM   #6
wyattglock

Thanks guys! Last time I was working on a square body, my son was 4 years old. Now, hes 13 and getting very interested in how these trucks work. So this is a great opportunity to show him, and have fun working on this square as we go. As mentioned before, if the second 350 works out. I will transplant one into my 1993 S10. Which is high on my sons list to help with too.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:32 PM   #7
LT7A

Welcome back, that's a good looking rig!
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 03:16 AM   #8
wyattglock

Thanks everyone for the welcome back! I started taking a more in depth look at the truck yesterday morning. I have found that I cannot shift the transfer case out of 2wd, meaning the shift lever will not move out of it. I am hoping its out of adjustment, but will find out as I go through it.
I am pulling the valve cover this morning and visually confirming if it is a bad lifter or just a bad/loose rocker. Best case is its a loose rocker, worst case is a worn off lobe on the cam. Going to make it work either way.
Last night I ordered a bunch of parts from LMC. Im taking the body lift off, going to fix the partially dismantled shift indicator, install door lock cylinders, and put in a new switch on the drivers door lock. Once I can secure the truck, I will start really diving into it.
I live in the middle of nowhere now, yet I had at least 15 people stop and check my truck out today. The best was when my neighbors 14 year old made his dad stop their truck so he could look at mine.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:38 PM   #9
LT7A

It's crazy that you had that many people stop by. It's a pretty eye-catching truck though.

You may be interested in reading this thread on the subject:
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=820053
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:52 PM   #10
wyattglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
It's crazy that you had that many people stop by. It's a pretty eye-catching truck though.

You may be interested in reading this thread on the subject:
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=820053
It's a good looking truck for sure, maybe I'm biased a little!

I rarely get people stopping at my house. So this was cool, odd, but cool. I really enjoyed the kids checking it out. That's what makes it really fun for me. My 13 year old boy is all about helping me so he can learn what makes these beasts tick.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:04 PM   #11
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Welcome back and keep those pics coming!
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:26 PM   #12
kipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattglock View Post
Last night I ordered a bunch of parts from LMC. Im taking the body lift off....
Are you exchanging the body lift for a suspension lift? The stance looks really good as-is, and is probably the only way you'll run those 35" tires. Personally, I think a four inch lift is perfect for 35" rubber.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 10:56 PM   #13
wyattglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipps View Post
Are you exchanging the body lift for a suspension lift? The stance looks really good as-is, and is probably the only way you'll run those 35" tires. Personally, I think a four inch lift is perfect for 35" rubber.
I'm swapping tires with a friend who is building a K5 as a trail rig. He has 31 inch tires in about the same condition. Then I'm taking the body down to stock height. I will leave the suspension lift on it for now, it does have a couple inches in that.
Old 03-30-2021, 11:37 PM   #14
wyattglock

Took the drivers side valve cover off yesterday morning to make sure the rockers were tight. They looked good. In fact, I see no evidence of a collapsed lifter. In the morning I will do a compression check since i have to stay up anyway. From what I saw, all rockers were moving as normal. Oil was pumping up through the pushrods, and the engine smoothed out. I am leaning toward bad spark plugs or wires, and just needing a basic tune up.
Old 08-26-2021, 12:36 AM   #15
wyattglock

Bit of an update after a very busy summer. As I go through the truck, I have found several things that the PO did where it is evident he was trying to learn. Kudos to him. That said, there isnt any one major thing, but several little issues, and several of those are out of the realm control.
I will be accelerating my plans to do a rear mount gas tank. I pulled the plastic shroud on the 16 gallon saddle tank, and found the straps and brackets rusted beyond repair. My plan is to put a 31 gallon tank in the rear due to cost. Keeping her original isnt my priority, just want functional.
The dash pad will have to be replaced due to a 5.25" speaker that was cut in. Not a huge deal, just aesthetically not pretty.
The glasspacks that had been installed literally fell out. I replaced those with some super turbo mufflers, and moving forward will be rebuilding the entire exhaust. Ironically, the mpg went up slightly after installing the super turbo mufflers. Considering I drive 80 miles per day, every little bit helps.
I have a friend making a new leather seat cover for the truck. the current cover is ripped and shredded pretty badly.
On a very happy note, the 4wd shifter freed up at some point. Im guessing something wasnt meshed properly, or it was starting to freeze up and driving it broke it free. I hadnt even got to that yet, but it shifts fine now. No expensive noises, no metal in the transmission fluid, and everything seems functional.
I gave the truck a tune up. Changed all the plugs, wires, and the distributor. The engine runs wonderfully! Honestly, I couldnt be happier with it so far.
Old 11-06-2021, 11:53 AM   #16
wyattglock

I have a new dilemma, the brakes went out on the 86. The reservoir is half empty on both sides of it, and the pedal wont rebound off the floor when the pedal is pushed. I'm kind of leaning toward a bad master cylinder or vacuum booster. At some point, the master cylinder leaked between the booster and cylinder. If anyone has any thought on it, feel free to chime in.
Old 11-06-2021, 12:09 PM   #17
kwmech

Inside of the booster failed. Replace both. Most auto part stores should have them in stock or a local source for rebuilding.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 02:57 PM   #18
wyattglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Inside of the booster failed. Replace both. Most auto part stores should have them in stock or a local source for rebuilding.
Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-07-2021, 04:43 PM   #19
GOPAPA

Good strong built nice truck .. put a little weight in that and climb any hill.. good to see ya back ,,Wyatt
Old 11-07-2021, 04:48 PM   #20
wyattglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Good strong built nice truck .. put a little weight in that and climb any hill.. good to see ya back ,,Wyatt
Yes they are! I love the old squares for several reasons. Luckily, I'm able to pass it on to my 14 year old son. After riding in my 2012 Silverado and then comparing to the 86, he knows why I like the 86 better. Sure it's not as comfortable, doesnt have the bells and whistles, and it doesnt ride as smooth. But it's better off road, it's cool, and it's just plain pretty for a truck.
Old 07-15-2022, 09:41 PM   #21
wyattglock

Got the exhaust rebuilt since the last time I posted. Found a set of Hooker Super Comp shorty headers for $50 brand new, I love garage sales. Ran dual 2.25" pipe all the way back, may do a balance pipe later.
Rebuilt the drums. Found that the PO had removed all the parking brake components at some point. LMC to the rescue. Ran a new main brake line from prop valve to rear axle. New lines on the rear axle. New master cylinder and vacuum booster as well.
Definitely been busy.
The crates come from where I work. They give these away to employees who want the lumber. The trailer is 20 foot for a size reference. Going to build some box blinds to hunt out of this fall.
New seat cover is going to be here soon. A friend in Utah is making it for me. That's been a project as well, but it will be worth it.
Attached Images