The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2004, 10:17 PM   #1
b16asi

Thumbs up truck bed question

Hi everybody. I have a 73 2wd C10 with a 8 foot bed. The bed is in sad shape thanks to the New York winters. Will a 88-98 GMC bed bolt on?? I realize that the body lines won't line up. Just wondering because there is a very good condition bed for sale locally at a very reasonable price.

Thanks for the information

Rich

P.S. I tried a search and didn't have much luck.
b16asi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 11:10 PM   #2
Russell
Professional Grade

Yep, they'll fit with some minor fabbing (not sure what the guy meant by that may just need spacers or something)

In my opinion, you should keep an eye out for a regular bed, the body lines really don't match up at all, it can be done though, here is a picture of a truck with the newer style bed on it:
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2004, 02:17 AM   #3
ElGracho
Gentleman Jim Driver

ElGracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 06:56 AM   #4
b16asi

Russell, Thanks for the info. and the picture. I agree that a correct model year bed would be the way to go. I haven't had any luck finding one within a few hours of Albany, NY. At this point I'll take anything, my bed is in VERY sad shape.

Any other info is appreciated.

Thanks
Rich
Old 08-04-2004, 10:05 AM   #5
Russell
Professional Grade

Yeah, I know the feeling Rich, my bed is bad enough that you can fall through it if you step on the rust that used to be my bed floor. Box is just totally beat beyond reconition too. The rest of the truck is solid, but the box is beyond hope, and I'm almost beyond hope looking for one.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:00 AM   #6
b16asi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Yeah, I know the feeling Rich, my bed is bad enough that you can fall through it if you step on the rust that used to be my bed floor. Box is just totally beat beyond reconition too. The rest of the truck is solid, but the box is beyond hope, and I'm almost beyond hope looking for one.
It's nice to know that I'm not the only one
Old 08-04-2004, 11:24 AM   #7
bluex

I have a pretty nice one just sitting here in my driveway. One of you guys needs to take a road trip. I'm so tired of looking at it that I will just about give it away!!
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 12:39 PM   #8
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

Yeah let me join the sad bed club my 80 stepside has a good ol wood bed, but 2 planks are completely gone and the rest are completely rotten. My dad put a sheet of second hand plywood over it about 7 years ago, and its rotten too But bedwood kits are only like 369 from Classic Industries, plus however much for the strips and hardware.
2009 Kawasaki KLX-250S too many mods for this signature
1999 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder, 17" Motegi Wheels 215/45/17 Sumitomo tires, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, KYB GR2 shocks, Acura TL 20mm rear swaybar, debadged, blackhoused headlights, Short-Ram Intake
Cardomain of the Accord
cliffsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 07:29 AM   #9
bluex

I just put a sheet of treated plywood in mine yesterday. It was a little work, but looks nice. I took the bed off the truck and removed all the crossmembers and the old wood and stips. You will probably have to cut some of the bolts for the strips out. Then I fit my sheet to the bed, I had to make two slots to clear the back bolt at the tailgate. Then I had to take the front panel off to get it under the lip on it. Reinstalled everything and it looks really good. I just have to drill all my holes for the hardware and its ready to put back on. I hope to put enough bolts in it to keep it from bowing for a few years. I helped my stepdad put in a sheet like yours in his 66. Its only been a year and it looks like crap all bowed up and nasty looking already. I hope to keep mine from doing that.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote