The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2024, 01:15 PM   #1
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Exhaust coating from Eastwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS66 View Post
'68Orange, not sure what you used back then. Lots of horror stories about wrapped headers rusting out quite often. Just not a fan of the wrap, even though it does keep under hood temps down. I like what headers do for performance, don't miss all the heat, going to stick to factory manifolds on my daily.
The ceramic coating stuff I got from Eastwood, they don't sell anymore. I don't get their current catalogs, and I did not save the original catalog.
Stuff was Black. Only color available then. Reasonably priced, but I had to buy a second halfpint can. I shot my Heddmans inside and out. I thought with that and my arid Arizona climate, they'd last forever. I had never tried mummy wrap before, and didn't read the fine print on my Heddman warranty.
Hedders were sandblasted, then shot with brake cleaner, dried and shot with the black goop. After they were only a bit tacky, I put them both in Mom's old Hotpoint range and baked at 500*F for at least 2 hours. Paint from the upper dripped onto the lower bank. I figured that was just a cosmetic blem. [I don't think that's where the rot started. ]
After putting the DEI wrap on, I did not coat the wrap with anything.

I put a Mr. Goodwrench crate 350 in my '71 GMC Jimmy in 1999. The OEM ramshorn manifolds that were on the PO's SBC were mismatched. One had 4 ports -- capped off -- for A.I.R. and the other was pre-emissions. I elected for the Heddmans, as repop ramshorns were rediculously priced.
Hedders were 7 - 8 years old when I coated and wrapped them. Then they lasted 7 years more.
I am no longer a fan of Mummy Wrap.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 01:27 PM   #2
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I had the Rams Head Manifolds for my new engine done by Top Gun Coatings in Calgary and they guaranteed them for life. I've only put on 13/1400 miles on the engine so far but are holding up well. They also did my Edelbrock 2101 and guaranteed it as well. https://www.topguncoatings.com
Attached Images

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 02:48 PM   #3
LNP

I never heard of it before here today. I spray professionally powder and ceramic coatings. I use ceramic coating made for exhaust and have never had a failure. Hope I didnt just jinks myself. lol That stuff is kinda high in price as well with the claims. It runs $79.99 for a 1/4 of a pint (4oz). I buy ceramic coatings made for exhaust for $70.00 a pint (16oz). As for the heat reduction I am not sure with this chemical but the ceramics I use do reduce heat. Thats why bikers love it on their exhaust.

1969 Chevy C-10 Long Bed, 350cid, 700R4
LNP is offline   Reply With Quote