The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 08:45 AM   #26
tim_mc

Re: Another carb help...

The mention that it will idle, but drop RPM when put in gear AND aftermarket GM HEI caught my attention. I had a very similar issue which was an aftermarket GM HEI that wound up causing my problem: Truck had an occasional backfire or load up when driving. It progressively got worse to where it would start OK, but would die when put into gear. It would idle and rev OK, but ran badly under a load, or when stopping at a stoplight. I had to put it in neutral a few times to keep it from dying at intersections. Later it would lean out and backfire after it warmed up and eventually would not restart when warm.

Replacing the GM HEI coil and module with Davis Unified Ignition parts did the trick. No issues since June 2021. Coil and module are relatively cheap & easy to replace if you at least want to eliminate them as a possible culprit.

Also, I compared a stock HEI module out with a Davis module - what a difference in performance, especially acceleration.
Old Today, 10:17 AM   #27
72SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalums View Post
So... I should disconnect from the carb and connect the VA to the manifold?

I went back and read you post again... And literally walked out to the truck to try this... When I have the VA plugged into the carb (timed port?) it runs rough (like I need new motor mounts... Which I have in the garage) at 12 dgrs advanced (manually set by me using a digital timing light) but if I turn my distributor ever so slightly til it is about 20 dgrs advanced it speeds up my rpms AND runs smoother. I can then turn down my idle to 800 rpm and it only drops to 650-675 when I put it in gear, still a drop but no stalling ...... My light bulb just came on... Was I manually retarding my timing? Too much?? Was I the "malfunction" *face palm*
No, you use the manifold vac port on carb, lower one on DS. The one slightly higher on the front, PS, is timed. The fact you advanced timing manually shows you want VA on manifold, so you get the additional timing ON TOP of your base (8-10 degrees)

Set your base back to around 8-10 without VA and the vac port on carb plugged. Then with VA connected to the manifold vac port on carb adjust idle RPM as needed

if you don't have it you can download owners manual for the 1406. and yes again it will say to use the timed vac port....its an emission thing, don't do it. It will however have all the tune and trouble shooting steps if you need them.

I am assuming your timing marks are right and the carb otherwise is in good working condition, To me, your issue was and is no VA at idle because you used the timed vac port.
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:44 AM   #28
Dashman

Timed port vacuum is NOT a failed emission thing. That's a myth, fallacy, propaganda... The fact is that manifold vacuum drops when the throttle is increased, and timed port does not. It was an improvement to simply fill in the drop in timing, just for a moment, until the mechanical timing caught up. The only time a person needs to recurve a distributor's timing advance is when it's a performance engine or race vehicle.

I believe that Geezer#99 probably has it right. There's a mismatch in the balancer and timing tab. Find top dead center of the #1 cylinder, and verify where the timing mark on the balancer is with respect to the timing tab.

I experienced a similar situation when the distributor gear bushing was wearing out, so that's something else to inspect. You may also want to verify the fuel inlet needle and seat, the fuel pressure, and the fuel filter. I had fuel leak at my fuel filter and temporarily ran my engine without the fuel filter, forgot about it, and dealt with near stalling while in gear. When I installed a new fuel filter to cure the leak and when the engine dropped RPM while in gear, the engine idle stayed smooth. It could also be a float level too high. Good luck!
Dashman is offline   Reply With Quote