The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM   #1
jaye deluxe

frame rail width

Anybody know the difference (if any) in the width between the frame rails of a 1968 C20 and 1968 C10 ? I'm looking to buy a hidden trailer receiver hitch, behind the license plate. Some manufacturers say it's a different width and others say their hitch fits both. Thanks !!!
jaye deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:06 PM   #2
HO455
Post Whore

Re: frame rail width

There may be a difference in the hitches between K-models and 2wd trucks as I believe they have different bumper brackets. That may interfere with the hitch mounting. But I don't believe there is a difference between a 10 and a 20 frame in the same model.

What model of truck are you looking to put the hitch on?
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377

Last edited by HO455; Today at 09:22 AM. Reason: Edited for clarification.
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:09 PM   #3
RustyPile

You didn't say what truck (C/10 or C/20), so do this.. Measure your frame and then measure the hitch you're looking at.. Saves the time and trouble of having everybody running out and taking frame measurements...
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM   #4
jaye deluxe

Sorry guys, I have a C20. The hitches I'm looking at are all online, no way to actually measure. I even called the manufacturer to get a measurement, but they couldn't provide that info. The hitch for the C10 is $150 less than the C20 hitch, and all I could find out is the C20 is narrower. Talking to different manufacturers is just making this more confusing. I thought I could get some clearer info from you guys !!!
Old Yesterday, 10:16 PM   #5
jaye deluxe

Sorry, I have a 1968 C20

Last edited by jaye deluxe; Yesterday at 10:20 PM. Reason: not needed
Old Yesterday, 10:22 PM   #6
MS66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye deluxe View Post
Sorry guys, I have a C20. The hitches I'm looking at are all online, no way to actually measure. I even called the manufacturer to get a measurement, but they couldn't provide that info. The hitch for the C10 is $150 less than the C20 hitch, and all I could find out is the C20 is narrower. Talking to different manufacturers is just making this more confusing. I thought I could get some clearer info from you guys !!!
How wide is your C20 frame at the mounting point? How far does the hitch sit into the frame rails from the edge of the frame inward?
MS66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:33 PM   #7
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye deluxe View Post
That 's just one of the pitfalls involved in online shopping. I buy very little online products.. I want to see and touch what I'm buying.. . Do you have major brand auto parts stores in town.. U-Haul is the place where I bought the hitch for my '71... They had it in stock..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM   #8
jaye deluxe

34 inches from the outside of each frame rail. I don’t have access to the hitch to get measurements
Old Today, 09:11 AM   #9
Dashman

The difference in price from a 1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton is probably class III to class IV and tow capacity. The GM manual shows 16-7/8" from centerline to inside frame, so 33-3/4" inside to inside or a tad more than 34" out to out. The frame width at the rear is the same for C series to K series.
Dashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:30 AM   #10
jaye deluxe

Thank you Dashman, you referred to a GM manual. Is this something online or do you have a hard copy ? Were you able to look at both the 1968 C10 and C20 frame measurements to verify if there was any difference ?
Old Today, 03:14 PM   #11
Dashman

This is the document title that I found here: "ST_330_72_1972_Chevrolet_Truck_Chassis_Service_Manual_10_to_30", section 2, figures 3 & 4 with the table of dimensions.
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/....php?p=5781194

It's a 22MB pdf, and obviously specific for the 1972 year. I am not 100% sure that the frame widths are the same for all models between 67-72. Down the '68 service manual and you tell us.
Dashman is offline   Reply With Quote