The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 07:18 AM   #1
popeyestruck

battery cut off

Anyone use something like this for security? Its only $32 on amazon and pretty simple to use. If its not simple I probably will get to the point where I'm not using it
Attached Images

popeyestruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:42 AM   #2
qbeanie

Re: battery cut off

Can you post the link to the product?
qbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:10 AM   #3
popeyestruck

Just google auto battery cut off or go on amazon and search auto battery cut off. Theres all different designs but this is the general idea
popeyestruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:48 AM   #4
Hcb3200

The original post said for security. this would work for that purpose only if you hide it somewhere not easily accessible. Since most of "our year" trucks have hood access from the grill without a lock then as soon as I see that thing on or near the battery. its easy just to move the wires to a single post.
They make some that connect directly to the battery post. even a jumper cable or a think piece of wire can be used to make the connection.

I prefer the old simple toggle switch under the dash on one of mine/under seat in another that just kills the power to the coil or the fuel pump (or both) and it is not going anywhere for a couple of bucks.

NOW if you going to need to disconnect ALL of your power often for a multitude of reasons and you don't want to be jumping under the hood every time ( or under the seat or wherever your battery is) then the remote switch is a good option) or some edit of full cutoff switch.
Hcb3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:09 AM   #5
dsraven

personally I like the mechanical cut off switches because they don't rely on electrical power to operate. I have vehicles that sit for extended periods and parasitic loads from stereos or security systems can draw a battery down to nothing over the course of a couple months. some of these mechanical switches are key operated for security reasons. it depends what you want the switch for i guess. ensure the cut off switch is rated for the max amp draw for your project.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:11 PM   #6
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
personally I like the mechanical cut off switches because they don't rely on electrical power to operate. I have vehicles that sit for extended periods and parasitic loads from stereos or security systems can draw a battery down to nothing over the course of a couple months. some of these mechanical switches are key operated for security reasons. it depends what you want the switch for i guess. ensure the cut off switch is rated for the max amp draw for your project.

Good point there. If I let my 98 BMW 528I sit too long and the battery goes dead the only way I have had to charge the battery is crawl through the back seat to the battery that is in the far right corner of the truck and the trunk latch needs electricity to work.

I think I have that switch on My Amazon watch list though.

They will allegedly handle 500 amps https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Disco...5&sr=1-15&th=1

On a TF it wouldn't be hard to mount one out of site under the battery box and maybe even have a hide from site shield in front of it with it in the cable to the starter.

You would want a wire running from the battery to the fuse block to keep power to the memory on the radio if you have a newer radio in it that looses it's pre set stations when you disconnect the battery.

It will deter the guy who plans to hot wire the truck and drive it off or has a hand full of keys that fit these trucks with the stock switch in them. It won't stop the pro who has an order for that model of truck or that exact truck. A lot of those use repo rigs now and don't fool with even getting in the vehicle when they snag it. Wheel in, back up and run the wheel lift under it pick it up and gone. At big shoes they might only tow it a few blocks to a waiting enclosed trailer.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:11 PM   #7
nvrdone

This might work OK if you have a hidden battery like the AD pickups do.
MY idea is that when I put in my tilt column it will have the headlight dimmer switch on the turn signal lever. Then I will wire the starter thru the original dimmer switch. That way the starter won't work unless you push the dimmer switch to the right setting. May also wire the ignition power thru that switch.
Just an idea still in the thinking stages.
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is online now   Reply With Quote