The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM   #1
Pinkdubai

Horn not shutting off

Working on my 1967 C-10 horn assembly. It is an aftermarket setup from Forever Sharp. I’ve looked through a number of posts related to the horn assembly but haven’t seen my specific issue yet. The problem I’m having is the turn signal cam compresses far enough down on the spring to touch the turn signal lever and screw when tightening the steering wheel hub. Once this occurs, the horn honks continuously I don’t feel like I’m over tightening at around 30 pounds of torque.

Would replacing the spring make a difference? I have also thought about covering the signal lever with rubber so when the compressed you don’t have metal touching metal. Maybe there is a spacer I’m missing.

Appreciate thoughts on the best way to resolve this issue.
Attached Images

Pinkdubai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM   #2
RustyPile

Re: Horn not shutting off

Guessing here, but going by the single picture you posted, the problem is the "adaptor kit" you're using is wrong for the application..

The large spring is simply to put preload on the shaft top bearing.. The canceling cam gives the spring something to push against. Many aftermarket steering wheel adaptor kits are poorly designed.. The hub should bottom out against the shoulder on the shaft just below the splines.. Most of them, like yours, do not...
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:04 PM   #3
'68OrangeSunshine

I have an issue currently with the Horn Button making contact at the wrong time or all times. '68 C/10 Stepside. Manual column. Three Spoke Wheel.
I first disconnected the Horn from the Horn Relay, but the constant clicking drove me nuts, so I pulled the plug from the Relay too.
I think the problem stems from an old upper bearing pack in the steering column. It's missing at least one ball bearing, maybe more.
[Truck is showing ~ 406,000 on the odometer.]
Also the screw holding the Turn Signal Lever to the T/S Switch fell out, and the Lever is loose on the dash.
To make turn signals, I use my Hand Signals. At night, I wear an orange safety glove with white reflective taping on it.
When I'm done refinishing my OEM Wheel in Fawn paint, I will try a new Upper Bearing Pack and re-attach the T/S lever.
If it still honks when not wanted, I'll try the Lower Bearing Pack, but that requires pullimg the whole column out.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:19 PM   #4
Pinkdubai

I checked the adapter and it does bottom out below the splines but only has 0.15 inch clearance to the turn signal. The cancelling cam is also 0.15 inches which forces it down on the turn signal lever resulting in the horn going off. Added another picture to show how tight it is without the cam and spring.
Attached Images

Old Today, 02:16 AM   #5
slikside

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
I have an issue currently with the Horn Button making contact at the wrong time or all times. '68 C/10 Stepside. Manual column. Three Spoke Wheel.
I first disconnected the Horn from the Horn Relay, but the constant clicking drove me nuts, so I pulled the plug from the Relay too.
I think the problem stems from an old upper bearing pack in the steering column. It's missing at least one ball bearing, maybe more.
[Truck is showing ~ 406,000 on the odometer.]
Also the screw holding the Turn Signal Lever to the T/S Switch fell out, and the Lever is loose on the dash.
To make turn signals, I use my Hand Signals. At night, I wear an orange safety glove with white reflective taping on it.
When I'm done refinishing my OEM Wheel in Fawn paint, I will try a new Upper Bearing Pack and re-attach the T/S lever.
If it still honks when not wanted, I'll try the Lower Bearing Pack, but that requires pullimg the whole column out.
When the screw holding my turn signal lever in place fell out, I replaced it with a slightly larger, round headed wood screw. As the turn signal switch in which the lever resides is plastic, the new larger screw simply cut its own threads as I snugged it tight…that was 10+ years ago, and still holding.
Old Today, 03:35 AM   #6
Richard

I am curious here. My Forever Sharp wheel has the horn switch all built into the horn cap. Only uses the wiper mechanism from the stock setup. There is an adapter and the stock spring has nothing to do with horn contact.

Last edited by Richard; Today at 03:42 AM.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:45 AM   #7
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkdubai View Post
I checked the adapter and it does bottom out below the splines but only has 0.15 inch clearance to the turn signal. The cancelling cam is also 0.15 inches which forces it down on the turn signal lever resulting in the horn going off. Added another picture to show how tight it is without the cam and spring.
In one of your pictures, the splines are protruding above the hub. This doesn't seem correct to me. Are you working with a stock column or aftermarket?? If aftermarket, who is the manufacturer?? What do the instructions and diagrams that came with the steering wheel say about assembly sequence of the parts??
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:39 AM   #8
Pinkdubai

The truck has an aftermarket shaft put on by the previous owner. I’m not able to find any details regarding the manufacturer. As noted by Richard, I also have a one piece hub and cap from Forever Sharp, which fits the splines better but still results in the turn signal cam being compressed too far. It seems like I’m missing a piece that prevents the turn signal cam from sitting directly on top of the turn signal mechanism.

Appreciate all the comments so far.
Attached Images