The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 01:38 AM   #1
BigRandy

Replace old AC compressor with late model compressor

My Harrison A6 compressor went out. From what I can tell used ones are very hard to find, and no telling what shape a 40 year old compressor might be in, and anything new or rem'd is crazy high.

I was thinking, if I'm going to do the work and spend the money, why not use the compressor and brackets from a late model Chevy? At least late model parts would be easier to get when needed, and I'm not interested in keeping it original. I just want cold air.

I searched and found posts on converting from R12 to R134, replacing the compressor with a Harrison clone, etc.

The truck was converted to R134 before I got it so I don't know what all was replaced. A flush and new dryer would be a must. Will late model mounts fit my 454?

I would flush the system, replace the dryer, mount the late model compressor and recharge it to 80% of factory R12 spec, but my gut says I may be missing a lot more.

I don't see this being too difficult as long as I can use something with a v-belt from the 80's. I could also do serpentine and change everything if really necessary, or am I really opening a can of worms that I'm not going to like?