The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM   #1
PbFut

Modern add to AC System A6 Compressor

I was under a misinformed impression it was not good to cycle A6 compressors. 1970cstblazer reminded me that A6 systems in the late 70 and 80 did have a cycle to them. And it seems more Aftermarket systems are modifying or changing POA valves to electrically cycle the compressor. My early 80s 3500 truck did. So with that in mind....
While I am rebuilding the fire damage AC system, I am going to ad 2 switches in series to the clutch power line. One is a Thermostat switch to monitor the temp of the evaporator to eliminate freeze up issues, the other is a Tri-switch to monitor high/low pressure conditions on the high side refrigerant line. Both switches in series would interrupt the power to the compressor clutch should any of the conditions fall outside of acceptable range. I am not sure of the amp load of the compressor nor the capacity of the switches, but it is not difficult to add a relay to the mix if needed. Doing this protects system form High or low pressure state and evaporator freeze.
Can I get a quick reply from those in the know, if this is a good idea or not. If not why?
Thanks for help.
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Modern add to AC System A6 Compressor

Note that the R4 compressor has a much bigger clutch. I've seen where people were cycling the A6 and tearing up the clutch over time.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM   #3
1970cstblazer
All stock and staying that way

Arrow Re: Modern add to AC System A6 Compressor

Not sure if GM bolstered the A6 clutch in 1976-79 controlled cycle systems prior to the change to R4 compressors. I have put many miles on the two I currently own plus other 1976-77 Pontiac cars I've previously owned, and never had an A/C clutch failure on them.
1970 K/5 Blazer CST 4WD, Medium Bronze, 93k ACT. miles, 350, 4 speed, rear positraction, 16.5" x 8.25" HD wheel option, tilt, tach, vacuum, AM/FM, manual throttle...Dad ordered and purchased new 4/70. Currently frame off restoration finally getting close to completion..

1972 Cheyenne Super 20 2WD, DK Blue/White, 90K ACT. miles, 402, TH400, 4.10 open, tilt, tach, vacuum, A/C, AM/FM, manual throttle.. A mostly original paint never rusted Texas survivor...

2017 Sierra 1500 SLT 4WD, Black, 45k miles, 5.3, 6L80E, 3.42 LS, 20" polished wheels, everything but moonroof and 6.2...

2019 Canyon SLT 4WD, White, 62k miles, 3.6, 8L45, 3.23 LS, 18" wheels
1970cstblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I was a mechanic with an NIASE cert (before it became ASE) for AC among other things. I don't recall ever seeing a CCOT system with an A6 compressor. I could be wrong, as sometimes happens.

Simi Valley, CA
Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM   #5
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
I was a mechanic with an NIASE cert (before it became ASE) for AC among other things. I don't recall ever seeing a CCOT system with an A6 compressor. I could be wrong, as sometimes happens.
I too, was certified during that period.. And I don't recall ever seeing a CCOT system with an A6 compressor. I might add, that during my "stint" as a mechanic, I replaced far more R4s than A6s.
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM   #6
Wrenchbender Ret

I changed over from a R-4 to an A-6 compressor years ago on a 87 Monte I was driving. When it kicked on it make little screech noise & felt like it had a miss fire in the engine. It took a lot of power from the 305 engine to run it. I never had any trouble with it though. I drove it many years after that.

George
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM   #7
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
I too, was certified during that period.. And I don't recall ever seeing a CCOT system with an A6 compressor. I might add, that during my "stint" as a mechanic, I replaced far more R4s than A6s.
That cycling clutch had to be a strain on those compressors.

Simi Valley, CA
Old Yesterday, 11:10 PM   #8
PbFut

In this case I am not cycling as a substitute for the poa valve. I am using the thermal switch solely as a precaution to freeze up do to multipal causes and get me to a point I can diagnos. The pressure switch would be to protect compressor from low refrigerant or a failed fan causing high pressure state. If the A6 system is working correctly none of these states would occur and the switches would remain closed whereby not cycle the compressor and work as originally designed. The two relatively inexpensive switches would be in place simply as a precaution while adding only 2 simple devices into the factory electrical path. Or I am overthinking an issue not needed.
Old Today, 11:34 AM   #9
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
We had a '77 and '79 Bonneville and I worked on a '78. All had cycling A6s. Don't some later BB Square bodies have A6 compressors that would be cycling?

My uncle had an 70s John Deere tractor with an A6 and I'm pretty sure it cycled but can't say with absolute certainty. Also we had a '79 Ford LTD with an A6. Again I'm pretty sure it cycled but can't say with absolute certainty.

I removed the POA valve and put a cycling switch kit on a '67 Firebird and a '71 C10 for others, both with A6 compressors, and as far as I know both are still running fine. I know a lot of people don't like those kits but both of my customers were happy.

Now with all that said, I would not put a new A6 on anything. I would swap to a Sanden. I think efficiency and life is much improved from what you can get from any A6 you can buy today. Any cycling is not an issue.

I probably have 10 old A6s that are going into the next scrap metal run. Just no demand and too much downside to putting a used one on anything. One of them is original from a '68 Camaro but what good is it?
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:03 PM   #10
PbFut

Agree more modern compressors are way better. I have this odd thing about me that I like that old familiar look to certain key parts of the engine bay. Which is odd since I am going the Hydroboost route, and did run, and may still, a 8 stack TB setup. So it's certainly not a "original" truck. I guess because I can get the A6 to acceptably perform I choose to say with it. The carburetor perform but I swapped that so who the heck knows why I do things.
Old Today, 03:09 PM   #11
Cali72K20

Did you look into this possible option?

https://www.originalair.com/vir-elim...-equipped-only
Cali72K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:42 PM   #12
Cali72K20

Are just adding as a precaution?
Found an old GM HVAC training book from 1995 and looks like you are making wiring harness similar to this?
With switches similar to these?
Attached Images

Cali72K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:47 PM   #13
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
We had a '77 and '79 Bonneville and I worked on a '78. All had cycling A6s. Don't some later BB Square bodies have A6 compressors that would be cycling?

My uncle had an 70s John Deere tractor with an A6 and I'm pretty sure it cycled but can't say with absolute certainty. Also we had a '79 Ford LTD with an A6. Again I'm pretty sure it cycled but can't say with absolute certainty.

I removed the POA valve and put a cycling switch kit on a '67 Firebird and a '71 C10 for others, both with A6 compressors, and as far as I know both are still running fine. I know a lot of people don't like those kits but both of my customers were happy.

Now with all that said, I would not put a new A6 on anything. I would swap to a Sanden. I think efficiency and life is much improved from what you can get from any A6 you can buy today. Any cycling is not an issue.

I probably have 10 old A6s that are going into the next scrap metal run. Just no demand and too much downside to putting a used one on anything. One of them is original from a '68 Camaro but what good is it?
I stand corrected. If I ever saw one, I don't (obviously) remember.

Simi Valley, CA