The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2004, 05:28 PM   #1
SCOTI

Attempted theft! What to do?

Someone tried to steal my 74 this afternoon.

They broke in thru the vent window & broke the lock on the column. I don't see any wires messed w/under the dash but the horn started going off & alarmed someone in the parking lot so the guy ran off.

The problem now is it pops the fuse everytime I try to start it (it will start once but then the fuse will be blown). Any suggestions? Can the steering lock be shorting something in the column since its now broken? I unplugged the horns but need to figure out what's causing it to short.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 06:21 PM   #2
Primed67

Man sorry to here that! Good luck getting it fixed. Do you have any leads on who it was or get any prints? It seems like vehicle theft is also picking up around here. I can't stand people who are like that and out to make a quick buck or go for a joy ride at the owners expense. Good luck catching the scum that did it!!!!!!!!
2014 1/2 ton Crew Cab Chevrolet 4x4
Primed67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 06:23 PM   #3
Primered_69

Scotti sorry to hear about what has happened. Yes there are wires that can be shorted out in the column. When someone thried to steal my Blazer this happened. Get a Thrifty Nickel or the Want Ads and look under services in the classifieds. I got a guy to come out and fix mine at my house and it cost a little over a hundred.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:30 PM   #4
SCOTI

I'm mainly concerned w/getting it home w/o burning to the ground. I guess I'll pull fuses related to the column & see if my fuse popping issue goes away.

I did try & chase the guy down but he got too much of a head start & there's alot of apartment complexes, walmarts, used car lots & such for easy hiding. He would have gotten one he77 of a suprise if I did catch him....

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 10-18-2004, 07:36 PM   #5
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Sounds like they shorted the turnsignal switch.That's the only actual wires in the column.

I wonder why people can't just keep thier sticky &%$# fingers to themselves.
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 07:39 PM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Dang Scoti you have the worst luck. Good luck trying to figure it out. I have a non-tilt column from the 77 if you need it....
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 08:25 PM   #7
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

When you get it fixed, put one of those steering column security collars on it. That will stop any jerk from ever breaking the column to get it started again.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:53 PM   #8
Eyegore
What Hump?

Scoti, I don't know if this will work but it did when they were unsuccesful the first time stealing my truck - lift the steering wheel a little, straight up, this took the tension off mine until I was able to get it home w/o the fuse popping. Sorry here they messed it up but be glad they did not get it.

Tom
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 09:14 PM   #9
SCOTI

Well after talking w/board member MattA & discussing all the possible hot wires in the column, I narrowed the search down to all horn related wiring since the horn was blasting away.

I tried the old pull on the steering wheel as hard as you can trick & was able to pop the steering wheel loose. I pulled it & started digging thru the horn relay & the small 'trip' spring that actually grounds the circuit was all jammed up under the bottom horn assembly. I pulled the spring, hooked everything back up, & no more blown fuses. MattA still came by to lend a hand but I had everything sorted by the time he arrived.

I just didn't want to have to drop the column because I'm temporarily handicapped & couldn't do it w/only 5 fingers. Luckily I didn't have to.

Quote:
Tx Firefighter: When you get it fixed, put one of those steering column security collars on it. That will stop any jerk from ever breaking the column to get it started again.
It looks like I'll have to do exactly that since he tore up the area by the turn signal. What pisses me off is you know some idiot will still tear stuff up trying to get passed it.

Thanks guys . . ....
And special thanks to MattA for going out of your way to lend a hand (pun intended for those who know my handicap ).

I got it home & just need to replace my anti-theft jumper wire (@ least it worked). I'll have to get new vent window rubber & the column repaired next.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 10-18-2004, 09:28 PM   #10
Blue Beard

Just replaced the Ignition lock in on of my blazers.

With the right tools doesn't take long. But the only wires in mine were the turn signals.

By any chance did they cut into these?
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 12:04 PM   #11
full foot notch

worse case if the truck does not start with the key, i can PM ya and tell ya how to start it without the keys, as the guy was trying to do, if your key cylinder is not working
full foot notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 06:40 PM   #12
SCOTI

Yes, he was trying to reach the ignition rack/sector.

He didn't get that far because he somehow wedged the horn contact spring within the column & the resulting short activated the horn & alerted someone in the parking lot. The problem was it kept popping my fusible links.

Once I pulled the steering wheel & horn assembly the short was found & eliminated. Thanks for the offer anyway.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG