The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2004, 12:10 PM   #1
ChevyDude

Re-Installing new Control arms & bushings...lil' Help

Ok my wheels of progress move slow....but I am ready to put my new upper and lower Control arms together and wanted to see if anyone has any tips how to keep the "A" arms centered as you tighten the caps through the "A" arms and onto the actual control arm. There is inside and outside threads to all go together and be centered. Is it best to install the upper Control to the frame and then screw on the caps through the "A" arm and onto the Control arm??? How about the larger lower Control arm...How do you keep it from spinning as you tighten the caps??? Is that what that hole indention is for...some sort of tool???? Any help or tips will be appreciated! Ball Joint install upper/lower was a snap....providing you have a press for the lower ball joint.

Thanks!

1971 Lil' Red 350 SBC 700R4

Last edited by ChevyDude; 10-25-2004 at 12:45 PM.
ChevyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 12:36 PM   #2
zooza

Talking i want to know too

so... ttt
zooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 01:05 PM   #3
Spoof

I'm trying to think back to my bushing replacement...?
If I remember correctly the end caps are tightened by alternately turning one cap and then the other the same amount, this ensures it is horizontally centered. It can be difficult and may require someone to hold the bushing at first. I think the indentation should line up with a flange or something to prevent the bushing from spinning, damned if I can remember, It's not for a special tool though.
I lent out my manual so I can't even refresh my memory!
I do remember the installation was a helluva job and I had to re-do at least one side because I had something reversed, and it was hard as hell wrenching the caps back on the bushing. I put my bushings in when the A-arms were off the vehicle, I had to wedge them under something in order to exert enough torque!

Last edited by Spoof; 10-25-2004 at 01:08 PM.
Spoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 01:13 PM   #4
ChevyDude

On the top Control arm you can bolt it to the frame, slide the bushings on and put the "A" arm around it. Then screw in the caps through the "A" arm and onto the Control arm. This way the Control arm won't spin because it's bolted to the frame. Just wondering how you keep it centered. The lower is another story as U bolts hold it on to the frame....so.....

Come on guys...Someone has done this job and inquiring minds want to know!

Old 10-25-2004, 03:25 PM   #5
ChevyDude

ttt

Old 10-25-2004, 03:28 PM   #6
68w/sbc406
Got Light Emitting Diode?

i will be watching this thread cause i have never done control arm work before. be tackeling it by christmas

'02 Chevy Silverado LT ext cab short bed 2WD 5/7 drop on 22's(the family car)

1993 Cherokee work ride/weekend wheeler
68w/sbc406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 04:31 PM   #7
Spoof

Alex,
I believe the only trick to keeping the bushing centred is to tighten both ends alernating from one side to the other. For instance half a turn on the left half a turn on the right and so on until they're both cranked down. Either the manual or the parts installation instructions indicated this was the proper way to ensure centred installation.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:56 PM   #8
COBALT

You know...I tried the whole "keeping the center bar centered" thing, and then realized it's stupid to try and keep it centered. Instead I screwed one bushing in until it bottomed out on one side with the center bar in there (and the rubber boots) and turned the center bar until I couldn't turn it any more toward that bushing. Then I screwed the other bushing in as far as it would go on the other side, and then backed the center bar up until POOF! it was centered.

MUCH easier than trying to screw around keeping the bar centered while you put the bushings in.
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 04:56 PM   #9
Stroker

This post from the FAQ may help. I think the hole in the lower control arm shaft is to locate the shaft on the U-bolt saddle. If you look I think you'll find a post in the saddle clamp of the same size. Hope that make sense. Here's the link. Looks to be nearly the same method as Cobalt uses.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php3?t=20551

Last edited by Stroker; 10-25-2004 at 05:00 PM.
Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 02:39 PM   #10
ChevyDude

Thanks!

Just wanted to say thanks. I used Cobalts method and got it to work fairly well. Also refered to my service manual and found measurements. So here's what I did. This is the upper control arm and "A" arm. I screwed one outside end cap all the way on to the "A" arm until it met up with the metal and would not go anymore. The slid the bushing on the control arm side that I now an screwing into the seat cap. Control arm turns 11 times until it will not go any more. Slide on the other side bushing from the outside through the "A" arm hole and onto the control arm. Now screw on the other cap and bury it all the way so it meets up with the metal. You can now back up the control arm 1 and a half turns and it should be centered. The service manual says from outside "A" arm hub to the center of the control arm hole should be 2 7/32". I've got mine very close to that. Hope this helps and thanks for all you guys help.