The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2004, 02:02 PM   #26
dubie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtlilly
I still prefer the 59, because they didn't make a whole lot of Cameo trucks, and the value keeps going up every year. JMO.

It's not a Cameo Don, thats just a fleetside bed. That style was only available for 58 and 59. The cameo has a recessed body side as opposed to the protruding sides. They did however make a Cameo bed for 58 but there were hardly any made. I am learing about the 55-59's as I research them, preparing to dig into Shawnas

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 02:16 PM   #27
dtlilly
Account Suspended

Thanks Tim, I never know that about those trucks. I looked back and he said it's an Apache model. What is that, just a short fleet, as apposed to a short step?
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 05:11 PM   #28
Phelgm

hes right about that 3 days old and already addicted here...... work, what work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtlilly
Hey John's wife (nameless? ) Welcome to the board to ya! You might as well go ahead and sign up for your own board name, this place is the best message board on the net, and you will end up posting here daily like the rest of us
Phelgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 05:13 PM   #29
Phelgm

Decision time is in 2 weeks when the guy is back from vacation, after that I will release his info for anyone interested in the one I dont buy.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:32 PM   #30
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

You might want to see if the 59 has a heater and defroster...it was an option, and kind of a must have item.
I was looking through my books for broduction numbers, and they didn't list any at all, however, that engine wasn't listed either. Acording to the red book, the only engines were the inline, a 283, and a 348.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 07:25 PM   #31
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

As much as i love 67-72 trucks, I have played with them for about a 1/4 century now.....I would welcome the change of a different style truck! one thing for sure, the older "toys" will cost more to build, but the older stuff is what i really like. I have a couple "pocket trucks" to play with for my boys(1 ranger, & an s10 ). The oldest son is starting into Hamilton tech, & the youngest wont be too far behind.....cheap rods are in my budget now, but I still think about the oooold trucks! I would really like to build a 48-52 F 1 Ford, & have a 351 clevland to build.....it would have to be "bad to the bone" tho(chopped, channeled, dropped, tilt nose, independent front suspension, ect)...big bucks! go with what you really want.....crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 07:38 PM   #32
Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970 CST Short Wide
Its really a simple decision, Buy them Both
Both Both Both!!!
Old 08-12-2004, 07:48 PM   #33
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

I like em' both!!! But its your choice, as far as parts goes both are '' CHEVYS " so thats not a problem. I'd say both are solid, just check the cabs for rust. Its easy to replace a door,fender, bedside etc. But the money is in the rust repair. My 69 is from NC and thankfully no rust. Good luck!!
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 04:15 AM   #34
Chevyboy1962
C10 now is a GMC

I would purchase both too. But the best way to decide on which truck you decide to purchase would be more than what year, make or model. I would look at rust areas, how complete, were they well maintained, take them for a spin see how they drive to get a feel for them. Taking them for a spin should show more about them, verses just looking them over.

Back in high school a buddy of mine used to own a '58 Apache swb stepside that still had the front straight axle running drums all around with a hot 350 sbc under the hood. That truck sure could lay down 2 prefect tire tracks. That truck would stop on a dime too, once it almost put my head in the windshield, the brakes were so touchy. But we would bounce around in the cab like we riding in a low-rider while hitting the switches. If it has IFS up front, that's a plus, but if it doesn't I would probably pass on it since it will be a daily driver.
David

*1963 C10 lwb fleetside, small window 230/4 speed...Blvd Cruiser

*1931 Ford 5 window coupe (soon to be Hot Rod)... Father & Son project
Chevyboy1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 07:25 AM   #35
Phelgm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
You might want to see if the 59 has a heater and defroster...it was an option, and kind of a must have item.
I was looking through my books for broduction numbers, and they didn't list any at all, however, that engine wasn't listed either. Acording to the red book, the only engines were the inline, a 283, and a 348.
Hi Longhorn, heater and defrost are intact and functional. The engine is an older 56, not sure when the upgrade was done. Someone local told me to pull it out and replace it with another SB, cause the 56 is probably worthsomething to belair folks of the same year. He said it was the only V8 chevy had from 55-57 but he wasn't for sure on the years.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:02 AM   #36
Smokie55

being an owner of both models, a 55 STep and a 69 Suburban. i can say with out being biased that the 59 is the best bet. Right now 70 SWb's are still readilly available at a good price. But the TAsk force 55-59 trucks are getting harder to come by in good shape and a reasonable price. If both are solid trucks with decent paint. I would definately get the 59 Fleet. The motor is worth something to the tri-fiver's and any small block chevy will bolt right in it's place.

Ultimately it's your decision, but to me the old Iron is getting real popular and harder to pick up for a deal. ANd at that price, that truck is a deal.

I can't believe I am campaigning so hard for the 59, that is my least favorite of all the 55-59 models. but a very nice truck.
1972 K5 blazer "Rusty" - 400/TH350/NP205 - Yeah it's big alright!!
- Founding Member of Southern Bowties Club -
Smokie55 is offline   Reply With Quote