The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2005, 12:19 AM   #26
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1974ChevyC10
tried to do the brakes on my truck and managed to get myself banned from an auto zone.long story i dont feel like explaining now.
I don't think that would bother me too much...

Slonaker
Old 02-17-2005, 02:01 PM   #27
JonnyTechMech
STOP! Hamma time!!!

Oh! Let me tell you what trouble I got into this past weekend. I’ve been noticing an oil leak on the bottom of my frame under the timing chain cover. In addition, oil had been slung to the hood on the passenger’s side of the firewall. As I observed the timing chain cover, I noticed that the harmonic balancer sort of disappeared beyond the cover. It looked like it was made that way. I found out later I was wrong.

I thought I’ll just have to change the gasket on the timing chain cover at first. Hey! while I’m at it, why don’t I replaced the timing chain and gears. This tuned into a three-day job because I work an extra gig on the weekends.

I found that the Harmonic Balancer’s outer partition had shifted to the back, eating into the timing chain cover just enough to cause the leak from engine pressure.

So I changed:

1. Timing chain and gears
2. Timing cover and gasket
3. Harmonic balancer
4. Oil pan gasket
5. Water pump gaskets
6. Changed the Oil and filter

Bonus : Added a new Performance Tower TBI spacer (To get some more torque and fuel efficiency so I’m told) which ultimately lead to a new fuel filter. The previous owner maybe didn’t notice the major problem with the balancer or did want to deal with it. No one ever thought to change the fuel filter until I did.

It’s all good now! I’ll leave out the pain, sweat, suffering and smelly details of fighting with the gears, balancer, and oil pan. For those of you, who have never done this, be sure you have every tool necessary, book for reference, time, patience, and a backup mechanic should you get stuck. Oh! Did I mention plenty of m-o-n-e-y!

Finished early morning Valentines Day and still was able to get the candy and flowers and a card to get out the DOG-house for neglect over the weekend.

Personally, I hate that kind of work, but I have no money for a mechanic’s labor cost and I like the satisfaction of saying “Yeah I did it all! and it not leaking. DO it right the FIRST time.

JonnyTM
JonnyTechMech is offline   Reply With Quote