The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2005, 02:39 AM   #26
Mudder

Nows when the fun begins........ Looks great!!!!!!!
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 03:22 AM   #27
Alexis
Member since 2000

nice! can't wait to see it dropped with the 20's. Take pictures!
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:09 AM   #28
DTerry
'70 GMC C-25 LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69
One question about the 4/6 drop that I couldn't find on Tx's thread was about the ball joints. How hard are they going to be to swap to the drop spindles?
Hey, remember me? At any rate - sweet truck! My son and I put 3/4 ton drop spindles on his '70 and it's pretty easy.

I hope this is relevant, because I'm not certain I understand exactly what you're asking. I suggest new ball joints because there are so cheap, but if you don't intend to replace the ball joints - there is really no work to speak of. Support the truck by the frame - not the lower A-frame. This should be obvious but... Then put a jack stand (or something) to stop the lower A-frame from dropping all they way to the floor. That keeps the spring from coming out and hurting you. Take the ball joint nut off, flip it over (so the castle is on first), screw it on far enough to protect the threads on the joint, and smack it with a big heavy hammer. The tapered part of the ball joint will come out of the spindle - and stay attached to the A-frame. Do the same for the upper, then just bolt on the new spindles.

If you want to replace the ball joints and they are original, you'll need to get the rivets out. Just grind off the head and pound them out. There are four on each A-frame. Take your time to ensure you don't scratch the A-frames. It'll take some patience and a 1/4" punch. Depending on which way you want to drive the rivet out, you may have to grind each one twice. First to get the old ball joint off, and again to get it out of the A-frame. The new ones go on with nuts and bolts supplied with the ball joints. BTW-this process is MUCH easier with the A-frames on a bench.

I hope this helps, good luck.

(D)
350, vortec 305 heads. 10:1 comp, t5 trans. Street terrrorizer.
1988 Monte Carlo (Super Stock ashpalt race car)
My Truck
DTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:38 AM   #29
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Like he said, the ball joints are in the control arm. To change spindles you don't need to mess with them really.

I do a different technique than he described (less chance of damage to the ball joint).
Loosen the castle nuts on the ball joints, but leave them threaded on for safety. Now, with the suspension hanging free, not supported by the jack, strike the spindle with a big hammer perpendicular to the ball joint stud. You're striking the ring on the spindle that the ball joint goes through. Don't hit the ball joint, just the spindle where it goes.

This will jar the taper loose on the ball joint stud, causing it to release from the spindle, and not risk damage to the rubber boot like a pickle fork does or the stud like the above method. It's a technique we used in the dealership. Sometimes you need to hit it 20 or more times, with a pretty big mini sledge (2 pounder). Don't worry, the spindle is tough and can take it. You'll see and feel them pop loose and see where the nut is now touching the spindle.

Then, using a jack, unweight the suspension and remove the nuts and spindle.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:24 PM   #30
DTerry
'70 GMC C-25 LWB

Good deal, Tx Firefighter... I'll try that next time I need to save a ball joint. Actually I'll try it either way, just for fun! I don't think I've ever needed to replace a spindle without ball joints. We consistantly need to disassemble the racecar, but they always come out very easy. Thanks for the tip.

Yellow69, how'd you make out today?
350, vortec 305 heads. 10:1 comp, t5 trans. Street terrrorizer.
1988 Monte Carlo (Super Stock ashpalt race car)
My Truck
DTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:18 PM   #31
C10 Club Tennessee

My main beef is that me and Matt Hufham switch outer bumper brackets because they bent my old 67-70 bumper. I told them no problem, but buy me a 71-72 bumper because I plan to swap grilles in the future. So Matt and I paid shipping and got the bumper brackets. I go to pick it up and grab the brand new bumper still in bubble wrap and half a cardboard box and it's a 67-70 bumper. So I'll have to see where they got it and try to exchange it. It's just crappy because they told me they bought the 71-72 bumper originally before I told them that's the bumper I wanted.

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:20 PM   #32
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

Lookin Good!!!!!!!!!!!
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 10:00 PM   #33
matthufham

oh wow that sucks. hopefully they'll exchange your bumper.
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 10:11 PM   #34
dtlilly
Account Suspended

Did the tech school do major surgey to the cab? (corners, rockers, etc?)

I'm not slamming your truck by any means (I hope mine will look half as nice when done.) I'm just a stickler for detail. I see a wide gap on the rear part of the passenger door. This comes from not bracing the cab when removing inner and outer rockers and the cab corners. The cab "opens" a fraction of an inch, leaving a wider gap. It's almost impossible to fix, now it's all welded together, but it's the little things I notice. Again, I'm not saying anything bad about the work completed, because it looks DAMN GOOD!! And only 1 out of 10,000 people would notice that slight of workmanship. I hate being a perfectionist!
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 10:15 PM   #35
C10 Club Tennessee

I believe they did. The driver's door is worse then the passenger door. I try not to look at it. Overall I can deal with it. I only paid $1600 for the whole thing.

www.gmtruckshow.com

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
Old 08-14-2005, 10:44 PM   #36
dtlilly
Account Suspended

99% of the people will see the "bling-bling", and never notice the gap. They will be looking at the ghost flames and the shine of the new chrome. That body is straight as an arrow, and I would be proud to claim I'm the owner! I hope to meet you in Pidgen Forge next year with my wreck on wheels
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 10:52 PM   #37
C10 Club Tennessee

Looking forward to it.

Got to get my 700r4 in before that trip

www.gmtruckshow.com

Old 08-14-2005, 11:17 PM   #38
nitor
Too many projects

Very nice truck!

'55 Chevrolet Pickup
'56 Chevrolet Belair
'04 Chevrolet Astro
'95 Chevrolet Blazer
nitor is offline   Reply With Quote